Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: added de to sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Houston, TX

added de to sand filter

After 3 years of happy sand filter ownership, out of boredom I finally got around to adding DE to my sand filter.

My water was really clear but I wanted to play around. I got harassment from a buddy of mine who said that my water was great so why bother. Leave it alone!

I backwashed and rinsed, then added 1.5 cups of DE to my 1,600 gph filter. The psi went up about 1 psi or so, per instructions.

Wow. It only took 5 hours of operation to bring the output to barely anything. There was so little flow that I was amazed. Flow was probably 10% of normal. The clarity of the water was amazing. I backwashed again and I was back in business.

I will do it again for sure. Not something I will do all the time, just something I will do on occasion.

Just sharing!
    Intex UltraFrame 14'x48in - 3,900 gallons. Intex 1600 GPH combo Sand Filter/SWG Hard Plumbed w/Hayward skimmer, suction & return. Borates.
    And... 15k gallon kidney shaped gunite 1975 vintage. Hayward DE3620 filter + Hayward 750 pump.
    TF100 Test Kit | Pool School | Pool Math

2. Back To Top    #2
    Columbia, SC

Re: added de to sand filter

It does help polish the water. I'm to the point I use it almost all the time.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon