New pool build - McKinney, TX

Jul 12, 2014
McKinney, TX
So here is our pool build, in all it's glory (and agony).

The first few pics show the layout and excavation, along with the associated carnage. Since there is no way to get to the back of my property, they took down - and tore up - my fence and side yard.

1-markedout_zps5c77ccbf.jpg

2-Excavation_zps49f69f7d.jpg

3-Bighole_zps8ce8cf80.jpg

2-fenceremains_zps3ab37eba.jpg

2-sideyard_zps4f417264.jpg

So at the end of this, we have a hole in the ground and the remains of a back and side yard. As you can see, my yard is not very large - about 25 ft deep at the deepest part, and it is angled. Hard to fit a real big pool in that space without stepping out of your back door into the water. :)

Part 3 - now it is getting more interesting. The wall has been completed, as well as all the coping and the deck has been poured. They also built a solid roof arbor (complete with electricity - you NEED a ceiling fan in Texas - even outside.) :)

10-wallcompleted_zps5ad4f0fb.jpg

11-copingandtile_zps6d612890.jpg

13-stampedconcrete_zps2968d39d.jpg

14-arborgoingin_zpsae049d68.jpg

15-stampedconcreteaftersealing_zpsf88d8a20.jpg

16-completedarbor_zpsb712f491.jpg

17-ceilingfan_zps9f584a04.jpg

The stamped concrete worked out surprisingly well. Doing 2 colors and sealing it makes it look very much like some kind of stone.

- - - Updated - - -

Finally getting some plaster done and adding some water. It only took about 10 hours to fill, but 3 VERY long days until we could get in. The last picture is of me, (im)patiently waiting for the opportunity to swim. Actually, I was just thinking 'All this money spent, and I still can't get in the stupid water!'.

18-plaster_zps137bd850.jpg

19-poolfilling_zps8a8d3e83.jpg

22-relaxed_zps74fd2959.jpg

Last edited:
And finally - the completed pool! It took over 3 months from contract to finish (and it was a month behind the promised complete time), but we are very happy with the final product.

20-completepool_zps6eac7381.jpg

21-waterfalls_zps48d24c34.jpg

24-viewfromend_zpsdab00848.jpg

23-finallyinpool_zps4afee7aa.jpg

25-fullviewoffinal_zpsded868e4.jpg

Sorry for so many pictures. When taken over the space of several months, they don't seem that many - when posting like this, it's a lot!

I like the returns and the bench below them! I wonder what the neighbors were thinking with the missing fence and dirt up front. Do you have any pics of the pump and filter?

I didn't, so I just went out back and took one.

20140714_195144_zps38d1079b.jpg

LOL - what a useless picture. I shrunk it down so much you can't see anything. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Really jealous of that stamped concrete. I should have just went for it, but I was over budget as it was. Looks like a really relaxing space!

Thanks. We knew we wanted to do that. One builder suggested pavers, but I just figured that would be an upkeep hassle. Of course, my wife would have loved travertine, but man is that stuff expensive.

As for relaxing - very much so. Particularly in the mornings, just sitting under the arbor in the cool air listening to the water falls.

- - - Updated - - -

Since my picture was so bad.....here is the equipment, per contract.

Jandy 2.0 HP Stealth
Jandy 460 cartridge filter
In-line Chlorinator (guess I won't be using this much...)
Jandy Color LED Pool light 50' cord

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And finally - the completed pool! It took over 3 months from contract to finish

Absolutely beautiful! Simple, but elegant. I am taking note of all the decking so IF I get an inground pool I will have an idea of what I want. Love the stamped concrete

I see swimmers. What are the dimensions of the pool? I enjoy my little Ultra Frame, but it isn't swimable (not sure that is a word.)

And finally - the completed pool! It took over 3 months from contract to finish

Absolutely beautiful! Simple, but elegant. I am taking note of all the decking so IF I get an inground pool I will have an idea of what I want. Love the stamped concrete

I see swimmers. What are the dimensions of the pool? I enjoy my little Ultra Frame, but it isn't swimable (not sure that is a word.)

Yeah, those are my kids. They were in the air headed into the water almost before I finished saying that they could get in. :)

The pool is 12 x 31 - with the bench on that back wall it is really 11 x 31. I thought it might feel a little small, but we are really happy with it.

Red Barron,
The color of the stamped deck is perfect. Do you know the what brand of color was used and the colors used? Did they use integral color in the concrete truck? or just spread color hardener and float it in?
And what color of release did they use.
Looks great!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.