TF-100 testing of water from hose

Jun 27, 2014
Boston, MA
Just received my test kit today. Pool is scheduled for a Wednesday installation, but weather doesn't look like it is co-operating. Decided to check the water coming out of my hose to get a rough idea of starting point.
Chlorine was clear/nothing.
pH looked to be about 6.8, very yellow
TA about 30-40
Didn't bother with CYA as it should be 0.

I have 8.25% bleach (2 bottles @121 oz each) waiting...according to Pool Math I should need about 90oz to start.
I have HTH CYA ready to go, 80 oz needed. (have 2 4lb containers)
I was not able to find Borax this weekend, but will try and find that or soda ash tomorrow.
Now, according to Pool Math I need 247 oz of baking soda. Is that right? I bought a 12 lb bag, but looks like I'll need more.
That seems like a lot.

What order should I add as I see baking soda will raise pH a little. I know CYA takes a while to dissolve so I guess I should get that in ASAP.
What are safe levels of everything to let the kids start swimming?

Adjust the TA up to 70 to 90 first. Then test the PH again and adjust as needed to get into the 7.5 to 7.8 range. After that you can start adding CYA, and then 2 ppm of chlorine. That is enough to start swimming.

Start adjusting FC based on the CYA level on the next day and continue adjusting any other levels as needed.

Raise the TA with baking soda to about 70ppm.
Wait 30 minutes and check the pH and adjust into the 7s as needed.
Get the CYA dissolving and 1-2ppm of FC in the water.

As soon as there is some FC in the water it is safe to swim ... best to wait 30 minutes after any chemical addition (besides the CYA which is safe to swim while it is dissolving in a sock).

Soda Ash/Washing Soda will also raise TA a lot. Check Effects of Adding Chemicals down low on poolmath to get a close approximation of what that will be. You might not need any more baking soda.

In order: pH. CYA in a sock in the skimmer. Recheck and adjust pH again if needed. When it's good, add bleach to get to 3 FC or so, since you will only have a trace of CYA, if any, in the water. You can toss the baking soda in last and let the kids have fun pouring it on themselves or whatever. As soon as the chlorine cloud is dispersed, it's okay to get in.

The critical things are pH between 7.2 and 7.8 and FC above minimum for your CYA level. If you brush a few swipes each way to get some serious currents going in the pool, the chemicals will mix faster. Typically half an hour of pump running between doses is enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.