Maintaining Levels with busted pump motor

hende

Jul 2, 2014
NE Ohio
Last Thursday the motor to my pump finally died. I've ordered a replacement that should arrive in the next two days but I'm concerned if I can keep algae away until I can get the pump fixed. I was pleasantly surprised with my test results:

FC 4.5
CC 0
TC 4.5
TA 160
CYA 40
pH 7.5

I do have a portable pump (1/4 HP) that is keeping some circulation in the pool and I've brushed the pool a couple of times. If I keep my chem levels correct and sweep the pool once the pump is fixed, there should be no need to SLAM the pool immediately, right?

Right. I managed 2 weeks with no pump in the AZ summer with no algae. Just keep the FC level in range and brush for circulation ... the little pump will also help keep things mixed. The pool may be dirty, but you should not get algae.

Thank you Jason and kiss4afrog. I just finished brushing the pool and it did turn a lot of clouds of dirt, but the water is still crystal clear. I plan on installing the motor on Wednesday, and can move on to whatever the next problem will be.

I wish I could share in your optimism. Just for this year I had to wait until the end of June to get my liner replaced, when that was done the wiring for the pump went bad so I and to run an extension cord to the pump, then when the electrician was here looking at the wiring the pump motor died.

But I did join TFP this year so I got that going for me, which is nice.

How long ago did you join ?? You should be getting your "TFP Lifetime" banner under your screen name soon, unless you're "Platinum".

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.