What to do?

I love when new members say they don't want to waste days waiting for the kit, yet they don't order one. If you order it now, you'll have it in probably 2 days. You can't SLAM the pool without testing it every few hours. If you don't want to waste time, dump a few bottles of clorox in there and get the FC up. At least it'll start killing algae. Run the pump 24/7, backwash when PSI goes up 20-25% over the reading on a clean filter.

The TF-100 comes with the standard PH test that pretty much every kit uses. If you have a drop based Ph test kit, do it yourself and report what you have. As mentioned, you should aim for 7.2 before slamming.

To prevent information creep, I feel I should point out that the forum recommends cleaning a filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

I agree though add 1-2 bottles of bleach each evening until you have a good test kit ... unless you can get your friend to come over at least 2-3 times per day to test for you.

I love when new members say they don't want to waste days waiting for the kit, yet they don't order one. If you order it now, you'll have it in probably 2 days. You can't SLAM the pool without testing it every few hours.

You should say you can't SLAM it properly without testing it every few hours. Since the OP already expressed her frustration at feeling like she was being beaten up about having to get a kit before anyone will help her it might be a good thing to stop telling her about a kit and just offer to help her with her pool as best we can with what she has.

IMHO someone who goes into a SLAM without a FAS-DPD kit is going to be running to a pool store (gas money) to get the higher FC readings and after a while the need for a kit and the fact it saves you time and money becomes self evident so no need to keep reminding someone. Pool store isn't going to badger then they'll just grab a bottle of something and say "try this". Do you really want to drive someone away just because they don't have one of the test kits yet and back to "try this" ??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.