brand new pool - North Texas

Jul 12, 2014
McKinney, TX
Afternoon, everyone!

My wife and I just built our second pool (the first one we built at our old house...wow, what a nightmare), and this time I plan to do things a bit differently, starting by using the TFPC method. (I have build pics, if anyone is interested.....I wasn't sure that my yard would ever recover!)

The pool itself is an IG, 12 x 31 ft pool (small back yard - that was as much pool as we could put in) that is about 12k - 13k gallons. Chlorine pool that gets a whole lot of sun, even in the winter.

I ordered the K-2006 kit, which should be here in a couple days. For now, I am using the little starter kit the pool builder gave me. Very frustrating, since it does not have all the tests. In particular it is missing the CYA test, and since I am currently using the Tri-Chlor hockey pucks that came with the pool, I have no idea what my CYA is at right now.

I did pick up some bleach and baking soda at Sams yesterday, just to start the ball rolling.

Question: the pool builder is taking care of the pool for the first 3 months, so should I worry about anything other than testing for the experience now? It seems almost counter-productive to go behind them, even though they will be using Tri-Chlor, etc.

Thanks in advance. I have been reading, but for a newbie like me, it can be a bit overwhelming.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Use the bottom of PoolMath to calculate how much CYA each ~8oz trichlor tablet is adding to your pool.

I would certainly continue to test and complain about anything you do not like as far as the balance goes ... I am sure you care more than they do.

- - - Updated - - -

Or see if you can take over earlier and have them give you the chemicals to add as you see fit.

Of course you have to do what you have to do for warranty purposes.

Welcome to TFP. I would watch the trichlor additions and run a full set of test result as soon as possible.

Don't assume they know best. They are in the business of selling and using products.