Mustard Algae? Not holding chlorine

Jul 9, 2014
Manahawkin, NJ
Just out of curiosity....when you all started slaming...how many gallons of chlorine were you using per day? I just started the process and Im at 12 gallons per day!!! At that rate I will be around $500 by day 10!!!!!! Did you all start out this high per day????

Im using Chlorox Bleach concentrate which is I believe the 8.25% off hand

8:45 am
PH 8.4
FC 0
TA 80
CYA 30-50
Added 4 gallons chlorine

10:30 am FC 10 plus Im using the Aqua Strips right not until I get the better system ... checks PH, FC, TA, CYA
12:30pm FC 5-10PPM Added 2 more gallons
3:45 FC 0 PPM Added 4 gallons chlorine
9:30pm FC 10 plus

HELD CHLORINE THRU THE NIGHT

9:30am FC 10 plus ppm but added 2 more gallons to keep up with the sunlight
11:30am FC 10 plus ppm
4:15pm FC 0

When checking FC all other levels go moderate to high at a high chlorine reading

Todays ending totals
PH 7.8
FC 0
TA 80
CYA 30-50

All levels are always in range when my FC reads 0

Well in all honestly Im just curious as to how much chlorine people usually start with? Wondering if Im just out of my mind at 12 gallons....I cant even tell you what else has been added into this pool earlier in the season...im in the $1000s money wise between PhosFree and algaecides and etc....Im about to just fill the darn thing in !!!

As Jason said without one of the recommended test kits you are dumping money down the drain so to speak. You can buy a kit at a pool store, but again the pool store kits generally won't cut it. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All these kits contain that test while very few other kits do. Think of it this way, do you see a doctor blindly prescribing drugs without seeing the patient or having tests run? Here at TFP we are going to ask for photos so we can see the condition of the water and are going to ask for a full set of test results. You can't properly dose the chlorine because you can't measure above 10. Plus, without an accurate CYA number you don't know if your shock level is 12, 16, 20 or even more if your CYA is higher.

This sounds harsh, but I don't mean it to be. You have already spent $1,000, now spend the $100 you need to.

I know you are anxious to get to a sparkley clear pool, but you need to arm yourself first.

While waiting for a test kit, read and re-read the Pool School (link above). This will give you the knowledge to know what is going on in your water.

So, welcome to TFP!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.