Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mustard Algae? Not holding chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Mustard Algae? Not holding chlorine

Just out of curiosity....when you all started slaming...how many gallons of chlorine were you using per day? I just started the process and Im at 12 gallons per day!!! At that rate I will be around $500 by day 10!!!!!! Did you all start out this high per day????
    24 ft Above Ground Pool 14,900 gallons 22" Sand Filter/Pump 2HP motor Installed 2012 No Center Drain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mustard Algae? Not holding chlorine

Welcome to TFP!!!

The chlorine consumption should be highest at the start and quickly ramp down.

Please post up a set of test results and lets see what you are up to.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Im using Chlorox Bleach concentrate which is I believe the 8.25% off hand

8:45 am
    PH 8.4
    FC 0
    TA 80
    CYA 30-50
    Added 4 gallons chlorine

10:30 am FC 10 plus Im using the Aqua Strips right not until I get the better system ... checks PH, FC, TA, CYA
    12:30pm FC 5-10PPM Added 2 more gallons
    3:45 FC 0 PPM Added 4 gallons chlorine
    9:30pm FC 10 plus

HELD CHLORINE THRU THE NIGHT

9:30am FC 10 plus ppm but added 2 more gallons to keep up with the sunlight
    11:30am FC 10 plus ppm
    4:15pm FC 0

When checking FC all other levels go moderate to high at a high chlorine reading

Todays ending totals
    PH 7.8
    FC 0
    TA 80
    CYA 30-50

All levels are always in range when my FC reads 0
    24 ft Above Ground Pool 14,900 gallons 22" Sand Filter/Pump 2HP motor Installed 2012 No Center Drain

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, test strips are worthless, so you may be wasting a lot of money doing what you are doing.
    I would add one bottle of bleach every evening until you get one of the Recommended Test Kits ... and that is all.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Well in all honestly Im just curious as to how much chlorine people usually start with? Wondering if Im just out of my mind at 12 gallons....I cant even tell you what else has been added into this pool earlier in the season...im in the $1000s money wise between PhosFree and algaecides and etc....Im about to just fill the darn thing in !!!

6. Back To Top    #6

As Jason said without one of the recommended test kits you are dumping money down the drain so to speak. You can buy a kit at a pool store, but again the pool store kits generally won't cut it. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All these kits contain that test while very few other kits do. Think of it this way, do you see a doctor blindly prescribing drugs without seeing the patient or having tests run? Here at TFP we are going to ask for photos so we can see the condition of the water and are going to ask for a full set of test results. You can't properly dose the chlorine because you can't measure above 10. Plus, without an accurate CYA number you don't know if your shock level is 12, 16, 20 or even more if your CYA is higher.

This sounds harsh, but I don't mean it to be. You have already spent $1,000, now spend the $100 you need to.

I know you are anxious to get to a sparkley clear pool, but you need to arm yourself first.

While waiting for a test kit, read and re-read the Pool School (link above). This will give you the knowledge to know what is going on in your water.

So, welcome to TFP!!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

The pool is actually super clear....always has been except for a few spots here and there that we think is mustard algae...brushes up then settles when the pool is circulating but doesn't settle when brushed and pool is off ....weird....