Water sample: Weight vs. Volume

Diver

May 5, 2011
South of Boston
Here and there I use 5ml sample for chlorine testing. It comes in handy for anticipated high level where high accuracy is not required.

Since it's less accurate than 10ml, I decided to at least get accurate amount of water to test. I figured I could use my scales for this since 5ml of pool water will be pretty close to 5g. To my surprise it wasn't so. It look like there was at least 10% disagreement.

I decided to try to 10ml which is what usually used for this kind of testing. I'm using a test tube that came with a speed stir, but standard taylor k-2006 seemed to match it.

When I pour 10ml into the tube (as accurate as I can judge, measuring at the bottom of a concave meniscus level), the weight showed 9.1g:

When I poured exactly 10g, here is what level looked like:

I'm a little surprised with discrepancy. I thought my scales might be off, but tests with a penny and a quarter were accurate to 0.05g.

I have two vials in my test kit, and I filled them to the 10 mL mark (bottom of meniscus) and weighed them on an electronic scale like you did. One came out to 9.9 grams, the other came out to 10.9 grams. My guess is that +/-10% accuracy is realistic for this sort of thing, and adequate for the sorts of measurements we are doing here.

Don

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.