Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Water not holding chlorine level

1. Back To Top    #1

Water not holding chlorine level

I just opened my pool 12 days ago. After correcting what the pool store called a chlorine lock problem (TC 8ppm FC 0) I now have an issue with my water not holding FC level. Over the past four days Iíve added 16 gallons of chlorine (12.5%) along with 12 bags of regular shock and my TC & FC levels have not changed still 0 & 0. The pool water is relatively clear but not sparkling. At that point I went to the internet and began searching for answers. Thatís when I came across this forum. The following are my latest test results from my pool store.

FC-.5ppm; TC-.5ppm; CC-0ppm; pH-7.5; Hardness-140ppm; Alkalinity-130ppm; Cyanuric Acid-4ppm; Copper-0ppm; Iron-0ppm; Borate-3ppm.

Their recommendation; 13#s Calcium Hardness, 5#s Stabilizer & 3 bags of Shock.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Water not holding chlorine level

Welcome to TFP!!!

Chlorine lock is a buzz word that pools stores use that is meaningless.

How are you getting test results?
    You need to ultimately follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to eradicate whatever is in the water and to do that you need one of the Recommended Test Kits that has the FAS-DPD chlorine test.

Do not start adding more stabilizer and "shock" {whatever that is} to the pool until you have reliable test results.

Please add your pool details to your signature and as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

If you have a vinyl pool, then adding calcium is a waste of money.

Check out Pool School, starting with these:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I've ordered a TF-100 test kit but I'm assuming it will take at least 3-5 days before I receive it. Anything I can do in the mean time?
    35K gallons, IG 20x40 rectangular Gunnite, resurfaced 2009, Cart filter (4 elements), Pentair 1 HP main pump model CX, Pentair 250M heater, Polaris pool vacuum.

4. Back To Top    #4

You can add 1-2 bottles of bleach every evening to try to maintain some chlorine ... maybe. Beyond that, wait for the test kit
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by DAN1925 View Post
    After correcting what the pool store called a chlorine lock problem (TC 8ppm FC 0) I now have an issue with my water not holding FC level.
    Might I ask what their "cure" was for "chlorine lock".

I've ordered a TF-100 test kit but I'm assuming it will take at least 3-5 days before I receive it.
    Great, it will be a great feeling for you to know what is really going on in the water,

Anything I can do in the mean time?
    Read Pool School (link above and on every page). Ask questions if you don't understand something.

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    You can add 1-2 bottles of bleach every evening to try to maintain some chlorine ... maybe. Beyond that, wait for the test kit
    ^^^ What Jason said!!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Dave ships it right out. You will be making progress quickly!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405378257.634340.jpg

21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Welcome to the forum we can help.

"Over the past four days I’ve added 16 gallons of chlorine (12.5%) along with 12 bags of regular shock and my TC & FC levels have not changed still 0 & 0."
    You have to remember if you add chlorine you have raised the FC & TC levels. In your case the pool is just using and or loosing it faster than you are putting it in.

You just opened it. Is it new to you or have you had it a few years ??

Reading as much as you can in Pool School is a very good thing till your kit arrives. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/
    That and brush the pool daily. Keeps algae from getting a grip just in case you're low on FC.

You posted a CYA or "stabilizer" reading of 4ppm and it's likely you should be around 30-50. If you really are at 4 that can be the reason your FC is going poof !! CYA protects the chlorine from the sun. Without it the sun will eat chlorine faster than you can pour it in on a nice sunny day

Can you please add your pools info as outlined here -> http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...etting-started
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ?į too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Only took two days to receive ours and we are in Michigan too.
    7600 gallon AG with a Waterway Premium Blue (150 sqft) Cartridge Filter, Waterway 1/2 hp 2 speed pump. Installed on 6/25/14. Raypak 156 Heater. TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

In regards to the chlorine lock problem I had to added allot of chlorine @ 48 gallons over a 6-7 day period before the TC dropped back to 0ppm.
    35K gallons, IG 20x40 rectangular Gunnite, resurfaced 2009, Cart filter (4 elements), Pentair 1 HP main pump model CX, Pentair 250M heater, Polaris pool vacuum.

10. Back To Top    #10

That just means there was something in your pool consuming the chlorine ... nothing was locking anything up.

Might have been an ammonia problem which will require a LOT of chlorine. There are no mysteries ... chlorine is consumed by 2 things: 1. the sun or 2. organics in the water

Most pool store employees do not understand the chemistry, so they resort to buzz words and non-sense.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

I dont expect pool store people to get it honestly, most pool stores here are a bunch of teenage kids that just pour water in a tube and tell you what the tube says

12. Back To Top    #12

Well here we go. I received my test kit today and the following are my 1st readings.
    FC1.0
    CC 1.5
    TC 2.5
    CH 700 (did test 3 times all with the same result)
    TA 160
    CYA 0 (fill tube to the top and could still see the black dot)

13. Back To Top    #13

So no CYA and high CC ... that has seemed to point to ammonia quite often this year.
    Add 10ppm of FC and test it again in 30 minutes and report back the FC and CC.

Eventually you will need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process and should likely add about 30ppm of CYA once that is started, but lets see what the above test shows.

You forgot the pH test.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

PH was 7.5

15. Back To Top    #15

Just so I understand I would use the PoolMath calculator for a 35K gallon pool and put the 10ppm as the goal and I get that I need to add 314OZ of 12.5% chlorine.

16. Back To Top    #16

Looks right. Really just trying to see if in 30 minutes your FC is way down and the CC is up which would really point to an ammonia problem.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

After adding 2 1/2 gallons of 12.5% chlorine and waiting 30 minutes the following are the new results;
    FC 1.0
    CC 2.0

18. Back To Top    #18

I would keep targeting 10ppm and testing every 30 minutes until you start to get a higher FC reading. Then you are going to want to add some CYA and follow the SLAM.

You could take a sample to a pet store and have them run an ammonia test on it to confirm.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

I added a 2nd 2 1/2 gallons of chlorine 1 hour ago and check the reading twice 30 minutes apart and the FC increased from 1.0 to 3.0 and the CC increased from 2.0 to 2.5 and seems to be holding. Based on your earlier note does this mean I should add some CYA now? If so how much do you recommend, my CYA reading is currently 0 what is my shock FC I should be shooting for to SLAM since the chlorine/CYA chart starts at 20 CYA?

20. Back To Top    #20

No. I would want to see a FC up higher before you add CYA. Since the CC keep rising (this should be zero), I think you need to keep adding bleach to eliminate the ammonia before adding CYA.

On second thought, go ahead and get some CYA dissolving, but keep dosing to 10ppm and testing every 30-60 minutes if you can to try to get that ammonia gone.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast