Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Differences between what the pool store recommends

1. Back To Top    #1

Differences between what the pool store recommends

I am curious as to why the differences between what the pool store recommends for the various levels compared to the recommendations on this site. The pool store follows the standards set by the national bodies for pools. I've looked through the different forums and did not see anything talking about why the recommendations are different from pool store. If I missed the threads please let me know and I will read them.
    35,000 Gallon Inground Pool 20' x 40' / Vinyl Liner / Pentair IC40 SWG / Hayward Sand Filter
    First time pool owner in 2014 but pool is about 6 years old

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TFPC for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by timothyd9 View Post
    I am curious as to why the differences between what the pool store recommends for the various levels compared to the recommendations on this site. The pool store follows the standards set by the national bodies for pools. I've looked through the different forums and did not see anything talking about why the recommendations are different from pool store. If I missed the threads please let me know and I will read them.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ater-Chemistry

It gets technical, but there's a chart and some explanation that shows the amount of active OCl ions relative to the CYA levels.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Differences between what the pool store recommends

Here is another good place to start reading.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by timothyd9 View Post
    The pool store follows the standards set by the national bodies for pools.
    There really are not any national bodies for pools that set any standards for sanitizing. The standards bodies mainly deal with construction and physical safety issues. Generally individual pool stores follow recommendations set by their chosen supplier of chemicals.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

by the national bodies for pools.
    +1 what Tim said....there isn't one.

Throughout TFP, you will read that we suggest certain levels that good science and practical experience has taught us fall within safe ranges.

Further reading of posts here will draw you to the inescapable conclusion that these guidelines work.......in thousands and thousands of pools worldwide.

You may or may not choose to use these methods and guidelines or you may use some and not others. Our goal is to teach you what has been proven time and time again and then let you use that information to your benefit.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School