Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine dioxide

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine dioxide

Can we revisit this thread. It's been awhile since anyone has commented on it so I'm wondering if things have changed.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ad-of-chlorine

I see, where I live, you can buy this (Hydroxan)and it supposedly is approved safe for use in our pools.
    They use it in combination with a floc product to improve clarity of water. How does that affect a sand filter if it is being continuously fed.

I am double checking that with my health inspector.

What I am wondering is if this would be a good choice to use with chlorine in an outdoor pool.
    Is it just for when there are outbreaks of bacteria or viruses or could it be an ongoing addition to help with water clarity as well.?
    Does anyone know if it has been determined if CYA shields it from sunlight?
    Deena
    http://www.lindbrookstargazer.ca
    100,000 liter IG vinyl liner
    Rolachem Chlorine & Muratic acid Auto feeders/Pool Perfect Auto feeder
    Pentair 30" filter (Tagelus) Sand filter/Centruion switchless pump 1.5/.25 HP

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine dioxide

CYA does not protect it from sunlight, so it goes away very quickly in an outdoor pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

So is there any advantage in an outdoor pool? Would it be effective enough if fed at night as a secondary method?
    Is there anything that does shield it from the sun?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    CYA does not protect it from sunlight, so it goes away very quickly in an outdoor pool.
    Deena
    http://www.lindbrookstargazer.ca
    100,000 liter IG vinyl liner
    Rolachem Chlorine & Muratic acid Auto feeders/Pool Perfect Auto feeder
    Pentair 30" filter (Tagelus) Sand filter/Centruion switchless pump 1.5/.25 HP

4. Back To Top    #4

Chlorine dioxide inactivates the protozoan oocyst Cryptosporidium parvum much faster than chlorine and it also oxidizes organics with far fewer disinfection by-products. So you could use it on some nights for that sort of extra protection but it will break down during the day producing chlorate, chloride, and hypochlorous acid in the proportion 14:5:3 as described in this paper. Chemicals that absorb UV light strongly would shield lower depths of water and some people have experimented with titanium dioxide for this purpose, but this is not approved and would tend to produce a lot of hydroxyl radicals which are already a problem when produced in large numbers near skin which occurs when chlorine strips the coating from titanium dioxide in sunscreen (see this link and this link).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"