New SWG - Need help with #s - Algae problem? (Test result #s included)

Jul 7, 2014
PC, FL
I recently added a SWG to my above ground pool. I followed the instructions and added about 50lbs of pool salt to my pool and ran the pump overnight. Prior to adding the salt there was no signs of algae in the pool. When I checked the pool in the morning algae had appeared (SWG had not been running at this point). After 24 hours I started the SWG and ran it in boost cycle to "shock" the pool due to the algae. The algae didn't go away on its own. I took a trip to the local pool store and my water readings are below. They said the algae was most likely mustard algae and gave me a sodium bromide chemical to get rid of the algae.

FC: 12.35 ppm
TC: 12.35 ppm
CC: 0 ppm
pH: 7.6
Hardness: 144 ppm
Alkalinity: 121 ppm
Cyanuric Acid: 48 ppm
Copper: 0.1 ppm
Iron: 0.1 ppm
Borate: 10 ppm
Salt: 3800

My questions -

1. How do I get the FC level down? Will it naturally come down with normal operation of the SWG after my initial boost/shock of the pool?
2. I added the Sodium Bromide to the pool after scrubbing the algae (it easily came off) and vacuumed the bottom of the pool. What do I do now? Do I give it a day or two and see if the algae returns, do I keep adding more sodium bromide in 24 hours?
3. What possibly caused the algae and how can I prevent it in the future?
4. Any additional advice/comments regarding my #'s or anything in general would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1. You do not need the FC to come down, you need to raise it higher and follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to eradicate the algae in the pool.

2. I do not know what that stuff is exactly. You need to use liquid chlorine and follow the SLAM process until you pass the 3 criteria to stop. This will require one of the Recommended Test Kits that has the FAS-DPD chlorine test.

3. The ONLY cause of algae is letting the FC get too low for the amount of CYA in the water according to the FC/CYA Chart.

4. Get a test kit. Stop trusting the pool store. Start reading Pool School beginning with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

EDIT: Although now seeing your signature that this is a small pool. The easiest path forward is to drain and start over and maybe follow the temporary pool guide: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/155-guide-for-seasonal-temporary-pools

Decided to drain the pool and start over. Going to wipe the interior down with a bleach solution to kill any bacteria/algae etc. and then start from scratch.

This is what the algae looked like on the bottom of the pool:
20140714_112309_zpsaui8umx4.jpg

20140714_112324_zpsyzkhvfbc.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.