I'm Finished

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 20, 2013
Lebanon TN
I've had it, I'm done fighting with this freaking pool. This year has been such a pain with my pool, I fight it all the time. So I am coming over from the pool store to the TFP method. First question, I am getting ready to order my test kit, which one is best? The TF-100 or the K-2006, the K-2006 is on sale right now on Amazon for 60.00. Once I get my kit in I will post some numbers on this thread to get advice. I have the pool calculator downloaded to my phone so I am ready to go there, and I have read the pool school. Thanks

:flower: Welcome! I think most people have been in your shoes at one point. As for test kits, I have the TF-100 with the SpeedStir (what an awesome little gadget...makes testing fun!).

One small request....can you post pictures please? :mrgreen: we LOVE pictures!

Here ya go, it's cloudy and it's been that way most of this swim season, though not this cloudy.
upydevud.jpg
7anenana.jpg

When I read the title I figured you were filling in the pool.

Get the TF-100 with the XL option. The Speed Stir is optional, but a great help. If you are a toy guy like me pick up the Sample Sizer.

The K-2006 @ $60 does not have sufficient reagents for all the testing you will be doing to get your pool in shape. If you were going with a Taylor kit it would have to be the K-2006-C which has more reagents. On Amazon that is $99 now

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You will probably need more reagent to get your pool cleared up. When I first ordered my TF100 I did not get the XL option. I did however have to order the XL within 3 weeks to get my swamp cleared. If you can I also recommend the speedstir. It is really handy when you are slamming and having to swirl all those drops in.
On a Brighter note I am looking forward to seeing how this one goes. I encourage you to gain the knowledge because knowledge is POWER. Happy SLAMMING !!

"Whats the chances I can have it clear by Friday of this week? Kind of in a bind, 11 yr is having a pool party for his birthday so I need to get it clear yesterday."

Need to post your waters test results yesterday !!!! Even if all you have right now is pool store or test strip results we need some numbers to work off of to help you. :testresults:

Start buying some bleach or liquid pool shock (bleach) and for now don't toss in anything from a pool store you haven't posted here. So much easier not putting something in rather than trying to fix a problem when you've already tossed it in.

Please don't use clairier, floc or algaecide. Help us, help you to help the pool :p

Congratulations for giving up on the pool store. We moved to a house with a pool, and thanks to this site, I've been enjoying a trouble free pool for the past couple of weeks. It was rough in the beginning, green water with turtles and frogs crawling around. It's so easy once you get used to it. Just a few minutes a day and you will always have clear, safe water. The experts here will be great help once you get test results. Good luck.

"Whats the chances I can have it clear by Friday of this week? Kind of in a bind, 11 yr is having a pool party for his birthday so I need to get it clear yesterday."

Need to post your waters test results yesterday !!!! Even if all you have right now is pool store or test strip results we need some numbers to work off of to help you. :testresults:

Start buying some bleach or liquid pool shock (bleach) and for now don't toss in anything from a pool store you haven't posted here. So much easier not putting something in rather than trying to fix a problem when you've already tossed it in.

Please don't use clairier, floc or algaecide. Help us, help you to help the pool :p

Using the aqua check I have, the numbers this
pH 6.3
FC 1-3 ppm
TA 180 ppm
Stabilizer 30-50

I didn't test the salt because it was raining.
I've ordered the Taylor K-2600-C, got it for 60.00

Sent from my dumb apple products my work makes me use.

IMHO - If I were you and you can do it, cancel the K-2006 and go for the TF-100. It's more $$ but it does more tests. Does same tests just more of them. Just a suggestion, unpaid spokes person :D

Have you read and reread what SLAM is yet ?? http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Stabilizer is low for a SWG but it's better to be a bit low for us to SLAM it. I'm going to use 40, after the SLAM you should raise it to 70-80.

You need to add 61 oz by volume washing soda (NOT baking soda) OR 134 oz of borax or whatever the instructions on a commercial pH UP product like HTH brand or BioGard or whatever you might have.
I'm using 6.8 going to 7.2 pH. If it still reads low after making an addition we can do it again as long as it's done before you raise the chlorine "FC" above 10. After that it's not reliable until the FC is back under 10ppm.
Washing soda Walmart, grocery store ... http://www.walmart.com/ip/19407690?...72253150&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=40015657990&veh=sem

Run pump 24/7 and brush the whole pool at least once a day. If you have a removable ladder pull it and scrub it top and bottom. If you have a light you need to pull it and clean the niche.

AFTER the pH is up to 7.2 + add chlorine (liquid bleach) to hit FC of 18. Test often and post and MAINTAIN 18ppm FC as it's the only way to try to clean this up by Friday.
Get test kit soon and post better numbers ;)
Liquid bleach, not scented, not splashless. Concentrated is OK as it's just a higher % of bleach in a smaller container.
This is how to figure out how much the bleach costs per oz as it comes in different strengths and different bottle sizes http://poncatechsquad.com/Dan/Chlorine/
I get liquid pool shock (bleach) at Fleet Farm for 9.99 - four gallons and it's 12.5% Some pool stores have it in bulk, some guys buy Clorox at Walmart or Walmart "Great Value" ... whatever works for you.

For now salt doesn't matter and no need to test for CH. If possible to unplug your SWG it's easier on it if it's off during the SLAM as the liquid bleach will be doing all the work.

Trying to type fast and may have forgot something but I'm sure someone will jump in.

Recommended reading in Pool School (big button at top of this page on right):
What is TFPC?
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
Basic Pool Care Schedule
How to Chlorinate Your Pool
Chlorine CYA Chart
Recommended Levels
SLAMing Your Pool
PoolMath

What works great for photos is if you stand at your steps and take a photo down into the pool of the steps.
We get an idea of color and visibility at the same time. Fun to count the steps appearing out of the haze :goodjob:

IMHO - If I were you and you can do it, cancel the K-2006 and go for the TF-100. It's more $$ but it does more tests. Does same tests just more of them. Just a suggestion, unpaid spokes person :D

Have you read and reread what SLAM is yet ?? http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool

Stabilizer is low for a SWG but it's better to be a bit low for us to SLAM it. I'm going to use 40, after the SLAM you should raise it to 70-80.

You need to add 61 oz by volume washing soda (NOT baking soda) OR 134 oz of borax or whatever the instructions on a commercial pH UP product like HTH brand or BioGard or whatever you might have.
I'm using 6.8 going to 7.2 pH. If it still reads low after making an addition we can do it again as long as it's done before you raise the chlorine "FC" above 10. After that it's not reliable until the FC is back under 10ppm.
Washing soda Walmart, grocery store ... http://www.walmart.com/ip/19407690?...72253150&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=40015657990&veh=sem

Run pump 24/7 and brush the whole pool at least once a day. If you have a removable ladder pull it and scrub it top and bottom. If you have a light you need to pull it and clean the niche.

AFTER the pH is up to 7.2 + add chlorine (liquid bleach) to hit FC of 18. Test often and post and MAINTAIN 18ppm FC as it's the only way to try to clean this up by Friday.
Get test kit soon and post better numbers ;)
Liquid bleach, not scented, not splashless. Concentrated is OK as it's just a higher % of bleach in a smaller container.
This is how to figure out how much the bleach costs per oz as it comes in different strengths and different bottle sizes http://poncatechsquad.com/Dan/Chlorine/
I get liquid pool shock (bleach) at Fleet Farm for 9.99 - four gallons and it's 12.5% Some pool stores have it in bulk, some guys buy Clorox at Walmart or Walmart "Great Value" ... whatever works for you.

For now salt doesn't matter and no need to test for CH. If possible to unplug your SWG it's easier on it if it's off during the SLAM as the liquid bleach will be doing all the work.

Trying to type fast and may have forgot something but I'm sure someone will jump in.

Recommended reading in Pool School (big button at top of this page on right):
What is TFPC?
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
Basic Pool Care Schedule
How to Chlorinate Your Pool
Chlorine CYA Chart
Recommended Levels
SLAMing Your Pool
PoolMath

Thanks, I'll hit the store tomorrow and get started. I'm sure I could got to pool store and they load me up with shock etc.... But I'm not doing it this time, PERIOD

Sent from my dumb apple products my work makes me use.

Besides being easier once you get a grip on it the TFP way is also cheaper so you win-win. Right now we are working with rough numbers and a tight deadline but hopefully since I'm gone most of tomorrow someone will be jumping in to help bail and keep you afloat till you get the kit. Once you're doing your own tests more people will be here giving advise.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.