HELP! Newbie trying to open pool/clear cloudy water

I am trying to help my fiancé with the pool this year which I know nothing about. He has had it/maintaining it for 3 years with no problems. Last year the perma salt system box stopped working so he ran it as a regular chlorine pool. This year he replaced the box and tried to open it the way perma salt says to do. Long story short the pool did not clear up after a week. He called where he got the pool from and they tell him to add 8-1lb bags of shock. After this the pool turned a gray cloudy color the next day. I tried researching it and found it may be the dead algae. So I talked him into putting "rover" the auto vacuum in. He was dumping the basket every 10 minutes and doing back washes every 5 times of dumping the basket for 4 hours. The pool did not have a cover on it all winter so it was very nasty! The pool turned green again! He dumped an entire bottle of floc (stuff to make the algae settle to the bottom) and turned the pump off for 24 hours. The next day there was no difference! So he dumps the last 2 bags of shock in it, turns the pump back on and puts the vacuum in again. This time he was not having to dump it as much, just unclogging rocks from it. I went to our local pool shop to get some advice and was asked to bring in a water sample so they could see exactly what is in the water. From the test strips I had been using the last 3 days it showed a PH of 6.2, Chlorine 0, ALK of 40, Stabilizer of 0, and Copper of 3. The fiancé asked me to pick up a bucket of 3" chlorine tablets, more shock, algicide, and clarifier. When I got back he put a tablet in the skimmer and measured out a dose of algicide to put in leaving the pump running for 24 hours. The next day it was a creamy blue cloudy color only able to see the second step on the ladder. He took the long handled brush and stirred the pool up turning it green AGAIN!! Added whatever bleach was in the cabinet(maybe half a gallon) and 3 more tablets in the skimmer making a total of 4 now because test strip still showed the same results. This morning the pool was still the creamy blue cloudy color. Test strip showing same results and took the water sample to the pool shop. Still waiting on results from them but was wondering if anyone could give us some advice? Any and all would be appreciated! Thanks

Visit the pool school tab above.

Step one is to order a proper test kit (I'd suggest the tf100 from www.tftestkits.net )The strips just aren't reliable.
Step two is to read pool school. Especially the basic chemistry stuff and the article on how to SLAM. I'm on my phone or I'd link u.

As mrcarcrazy said, you have to stop relying on the pool store. First step, order the test kit (TF-100 or Taylor K-2006), which can be found in my signature. While you are waiting for the test kit, read up in Pool School (Should be linked in my signature) at least 2 or 3 times. As was said above, focus on the chemistry articles and the SLAM process (should also be linked in my signature). Without the proper test kit, it will be very difficult, if not impossible to clear up this pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.