Can't remove filter housing top.

I've heard a pool professional recommend to turn the pump on for a second. Obviously, the belt that holds the top housing to the bottom needs to be removed. Make sure to let all of the air out through the pressure release on the filter, otherwise the top housing could jump off and hit you (it's not likely, though).

Before doing this, take the lid off of your pump basket to relieve more pressure, and see if the top housing of the filter will come off then.

After the filter is drained more or less, close it all up except the clamp and turn the pump on for a second or two. As the pump primes, it will build air pressure in the filter and pop the lid loose. Then kill it before you get water everywhere. It only takes a second, so stand by the switch. I do that every time so I don't end up with fiberglass itches.

Popped right off and I didn't lose an eye or anything. :D

Thanks, guys!

Are there any tricks for getting it back on easily? It usually takes me the longest time to line it up and create suction.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.