Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can't remove filter housing top.

1. Back To Top    #1

Can't remove filter housing top.

Hi, everyone! I put a new O-ring on my filter top this year and the suction is so great that I can't get the top off. Any suggestions? I have the pressure released and the drain open.

filter.jpg
    15' Round Above Ground 5,300 gallons
    Cartridge filter
    Taylor 2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can't remove filter housing top.

I've heard a pool professional recommend to turn the pump on for a second. Obviously, the belt that holds the top housing to the bottom needs to be removed. Make sure to let all of the air out through the pressure release on the filter, otherwise the top housing could jump off and hit you (it's not likely, though).

Before doing this, take the lid off of your pump basket to relieve more pressure, and see if the top housing of the filter will come off then.
    Bobby (my pool)
    18,000 gallon in ground/white plaster
    Flotec pump/Aquatech MYB100 single cartridge filter - runs 6 hours/day in evening during summer

3. Back To Top    #3

After the filter is drained more or less, close it all up except the clamp and turn the pump on for a second or two. As the pump primes, it will build air pressure in the filter and pop the lid loose. Then kill it before you get water everywhere. It only takes a second, so stand by the switch. I do that every time so I don't end up with fiberglass itches.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Popped right off and I didn't lose an eye or anything.

Thanks, guys!

Are there any tricks for getting it back on easily? It usually takes me the longest time to line it up and create suction.
    15' Round Above Ground 5,300 gallons
    Cartridge filter
    Taylor 2006 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I also have a little trouble getting mine on. It's best to use some kind of lubrication on that o-ring so it will stay nice and firm! Otherwise it will slowly expand and cause leaks like mine!
    Bobby (my pool)
    18,000 gallon in ground/white plaster
    Flotec pump/Aquatech MYB100 single cartridge filter - runs 6 hours/day in evening during summer