Small, black water bugs that bite

Hello,
I've seen the back swimmers & boatmen but I believe these are different. First of all I have an AG pool, 12x24 with a power ionizer. We shock it once a week and use a clarifer. One of the swimmers yesterday said a small bug bite them and it felt like a bee sting - I went out and couldn't find anything - usually with the backswimmers I can spot them fairly easy. We shocked the pool last night and again this AM I went out and didn't see anything - then a few hours later I went and I saw the small (right around 1/8 inch long) black bug- it appeared to have have the beetle-body shape and 6 legs - it was skimming perfectly along the top of the water - this is our first experience with this letter bugger and I would appreciate some insight.

Welcome to TFP!

Maintaining proper chlorine levels will usually control them. We recommend against both weekly shocking and clarifier use. They are not needed when the water is maintained properly. Most of us go years without shocking the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.