Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Try to raise TA and CYA, need some advice regarding the order of adding chemicals

1. Back To Top    #1

Try to raise TA and CYA, need some advice regarding the order of adding chemicals

based on pool store test(i ordered TF100, but I haven't had it yet),

TA: 50ppm
    CYA: 30ppm
    pH: 8.0

since adding baking soda would raise pH, i wonder if my order of adding chemical is the best way.

1. adding acid first to drop pH to 7.2~7.4
    2. adding baking soda after pH tests

As to CYA, i just bought 4lb conditioner/stabilizer from Walmart. I plan to pull some conditioner into a sock, then hanging on skimmer. But I m not sure if i should do that after pH lower or doesn't mater.

THhnk you so much
    32 ft x 25 ft x (4.5 ft ~ 8.0 ft) 30k gallon pool || AquaPure Model APUREM SWG || Pentair MiniMaxPlus Electronic Ignition Heater || Pentair FNS Plus 60 D.E Filter || TFTestKits TF-100

PoolMathCalc

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Try to raise TA and CYA, need some advice regarding the order of adding chemicals

Right now I would add muratic acid to get the pH down a little and wait for the test kit.

Don't add CYA until YOU confirm it is needed with your test kit. This is the test that pool stores mess up the most. They were telling me mine was 90 when it was 200+

Keep testing and adding chlorine (liquid) as needed until the kit arrives.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Try to raise TA and CYA, need some advice regarding the order of adding chemicals

Baking soda will have a very small effect on pH.

However, I'm with Tim. Don't do anything until you get the kit and have results you can trust.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
    Right now I would add muratic acid to get the pH down a little and wait for the test kit.

Don't add CYA until YOU confirm it is needed with your test kit. This is the test that pool stores mess up the most. They were telling me mine was 90 when it was 200+
    Quote Originally Posted by Smykowski View Post
    Baking soda will have a very small effect on pH.

However, I'm with Tim. Don't do anything until you get the kit and have results you can trust.
    Thank you guys.

I added 1qt muratic acid this morning before work. And, i believe my test kit would arrive either tonight or tomorrow.I will perform my first test tonight(excited) and see how it goes.
    32 ft x 25 ft x (4.5 ft ~ 8.0 ft) 30k gallon pool || AquaPure Model APUREM SWG || Pentair MiniMaxPlus Electronic Ignition Heater || Pentair FNS Plus 60 D.E Filter || TFTestKits TF-100

PoolMathCalc

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by TxE4GL3k View Post
    Thank you guys.

I added 1qt muratic acid this morning before work. And, i believe my test kit would arrive either tonight or tomorrow.I will perform my first test tonight(excited) and see how it goes.
    Great!! Waiting for results.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon