Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mice in Heat Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Mice in Heat Pump

Hi All,
    I'm new to this website but glad to have found it.
    Problem - Mice got into my Hayward HP this past winter and chewed many wires. I was able to replace and/or splice most of the damaged wires. However, the wiring harness that connects the control board to the interface board has specific and bundled connectors that are not readily available and I assume should be ordered from Hayward. Can anyone recommend a reliable source for this? I'm not sure Hayward will sell directly to me where I'm not a dealer.
    On a related front - I'm two years into this pool and the mice made a mess of the HP. Is this a common thing? Should we have done something different or is there a way of preventing such things?

thanks,
    George.
    20 x 40 IG, vinyl liner, xx pump, xx filter, Hayward HP21104T Heat Pump, xx salt generator, xx Polaris cleaner, All professionally installed 2012.
    will complete xx details in daylight hours.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mice in Heat Pump

Mothballs might help?
    Installed May 2014 - 16' x 48" Summer Escapes Pro Series Pool AG Vinyl (6,000 gal) - Intex 2650 Sand Filter - Christmas, FL

3. Back To Top    #3

Had the same thing happen, except a lizard crawled across the bare wires that a mouse chewed, first thing I did was get rid of my bird feeder, I set a bait trap under the heat pump, I also put minced garlic around my bottom bird cage. They dont like it...

13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Jandy Automation /w IAqualink
    Autopilot SWG
    Jandy 2.0 HP VSP, Filter Cartridge
    Taylor (FAS-DPD K-2600, Pool Surface: Plaster

4. Back To Top    #4

I had/have the same problem with my Larrs oil fired heater, They like to chew up the combustion chamber material ($550) for nesting.
    When I rebuilt the heater this year I cleaned all the nests out and left some Mice ‘bait’s in the heater when it was put back together.
    I haven’t use the heat on a regular basis but I do turn in on for 5-10 min every other day to heat things up to persuade any and all wildlife its not a place to hang out

you may find the parts here: http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Haywa...104T/parts.htm
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by boston62 View Post
    Had the same thing happen, except a lizard crawled across the bare wires that a mouse chewed, first thing I did was get rid of my bird feeder, I set a bait trap under the heat pump, I also put minced garlic around my bottom bird cage. They dont like it...
    Neither do vampires so you should be safe from them as well.
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

6. Back To Top    #6

It keeps them from eating through the screen.

13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Jandy Automation /w IAqualink
    Autopilot SWG
    Jandy 2.0 HP VSP, Filter Cartridge
    Taylor (FAS-DPD K-2600, Pool Surface: Plaster