What happened to my grout?

I think my best final answer is this, something from the FS washed out over your tile and grout. Natural stone is always going to have a lot of variation and minerals in it and stone, regardless of what we might think about it, can and will decompose over time. FS is simply a layered concretion of silicates (aluminum, iron and other mineral silicates) held together by layers of cement composed mainly of mineral carbonates (calcium carbonate, etc). That's the creamy white substance you see when the FS peels up along it's bedding planes.

Your tile has a very hard, fired glazed surface that makes it easy to clean debris and deposits from. The grout connecting the tiles is essentially a very porous cement. Therefore, whatever washed off the surface of the FS, stuck to the surface of the tile but penetrated the grout and discolored it.

So the only way to "fix" it, is basically to use a grout saw to rip out all the grout and redo it OR to just accept the discoloration as a "natural" part of your pool.

Perhaps the discoloration will fade over time naturally from sun and chlorine exposure....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, it has definitely shed! Just a little here and there but I do see the slivers. I've never seen the white powdery compound you mention though...?

Yeah, that's not surprising. I have Arizona flagstone which tends to have that quality to it. Other types of FS may or may not show that.

I'd still be willing to bet that your staining is caused by the weathering of the FS over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One other trick you might try is this - get a bottle of plain old 1000mg vitamin C tablets (nothing fancy, no rose hips or anything special) and rub it on the discolored spots. Wetting the area works best.

I once got some rust spot on my concrete decking from a rusty old broom handle. I used a couple if tablets and the spots went away nicely.

---- EDIT -----

Forgot to mention that you might want to just test it out in a small area first. Large amounts of ascorbic acid in the pool will cause your FC to drop. So if it did work and you consider treating a large area, then you might need to follow the PoolSchool section on Ascorbic Acid Treatment process as there are important details there about using it in a chlorine pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.