Tested the pool this morning with the TF 100 and the readings were as follow:

CL = 5
PH = 7.8
FC = 7.5
CC = .5
CH = 125
TA = 120
CYA = 50

From the surface, the pool looks clear but when viewing from underwater, the pool is cloudy. Apparently the CH needs to be up beyond 300 and to get there, I supposedly have to add calcium chloride or calcium dihydrate.
Moved into the house a few weeks ago and remember seeing AquaChem Super Water Clarifier on the shelf so I added 4 ounces (1 oz. treats 5,000 gallons).

Tested the CH just now, and the reading is 100. Looks like the Clarifier did not work.

Is there a "common" name product for the calcium? If not, where would I find it - besides in a pool supply store.

Thanks for your time.

Well, being a pool owner for just over 2 weeks, I'm just beginning to understand the chemicals. The TF 100 Test Kit instruction card states, "CH is mostly relevant to masonry pools" and that "too much calcium in any pool (vinyl, fiberglass or masonry) can cause cloudiness issues in your water. CH readings in the 250-400 range are considered ideal".

So, CH mostly pertains to masonry pools but are relevant to vinyl pools sometimes, too high is bad, 250 - 400 CH readings are ideal, but what about readings below the ideal? I could have assumed that low readings were ok but wanted to check with the experts first.

Will to a FAS-DPD tonight and report back the results.

Thanks.

So, CH mostly pertains to masonry pools but are relevant to vinyl pools sometimes, too high is bad, 250 - 400 CH readings are ideal, but what about readings below the ideal? I could have assumed that low readings were ok but wanted to check with the experts first.
For a vinyl pool, low CH readings (or even 0) are not an issue UNLESS you have a heater which requires a minimum CH for warranty reasons.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.