Help. Motor just hums... won't start

Haven't taken it out of the cabinet yet. For the next two days the nights will be below freezing. I'd rather not have to drain the tub if I can help it. Behavior is the same today. This morning the pump began running in normal fashion with no unusual noise (I suspect until the tub got up to temperature). When I returned this evening the pump was exhibiting the same behavior of kicking on, turning slowly then kicking of.

Ah pumps ! LOL... lucky they can often be fixed with a little DIY. No warning all of a sudden my pump was hummingrather than singing.. LOL... Pulled the cover to inspect the capacitor and woohoo it got a bulge (see pic)DSC04816.jpg DSC04815.jpg. On the way to store now to get a replacement if not to much $$. Can get for $10 on Amazon but would like to replace today. will update later. Y'all be safe and happy pool time.

UPDATE... went to local stores they did not have the right size. Leslie's had a 50uf for over $34 but it was to large physically. Besides a 50uf might make the motor run hot since this cap is used for start and run. So I ordered two 40uf units from Amazon shipping included total under $20...

Great pool specialty forum. Many thanks to all who contributed to this thread. I was about to replace the motor on my mom's pool filter, $275 for the motor, and more labor from me. Then I searched and found this site. It hit the nail on the head. Ultimately, I ended up at an independent pool supply store in my area, and they had the exact brand, size, and rating capacitor. Baby started right up.
FWIW: Mine too exhibited rather classic failed capacitor characteristics, like protruding ends. I also checked for static or changing continuity, and it came up "open". It was almost as bad as the picture someone included here, but not quite. Still, it was bad, and now all is good. Total $11.00, including tax. That was a deal, not matter how you slice it. Thanks again, TFP board! Cheers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.