Return spurting and DE sediment

I have a Hayward DE 6020 filter for an in ground pool. I'm having a problem with DE in the pool and the returns spurting.

When we opened the pool a few weeks ago, we did a thorough cleaning and inspection of the DE grids, manifold, etc and did a start up. We then noticed the returns were spurting. A while later we noticed while the pump was off there was DE sediment in the pool. So we went back to the DE filter, deconstructed the filter to look for cracks, tears, and checked the O-rings, all looked in good condition. We re-assembled the filter and then tried running only the bottom drains and everything worked fine. However, when we put the diverter to run both the bottom drains and skimmer, the spurting returned and immediately noticed the water turned cloudy from the return lines, and then alot more DE sediment in the pool.

When we use the diverter in the skimmer portion only we notice lots of air in the pool pump basket. The pool water level is at a proper level to eliminate any sort of vornado effect in the skimmer basket.

We'd like to know if you think these two problems (the spurting and the DE sediment) are related and what do you recommend we do now since we have checked the filter about three times now and nothing seems to be broken, torn, or ripped. Should we pressure/vacuum test the skimmer line and if so what is the best way to do so?We need some advice since we are running out of ideas and growing frustrated more and more day by day.

Thank you so much!

Welcome! :wave:

I suspect the problems are related, but not the way you think. Somehow, you have an air leak from the skimmer section. Are you absolutely positive there is no vortex? No stuck weir?

The DE - my guess, anyway - is getting shoved out by air pressure. If you're sucking air in, you have air trapped in the filter. While the pump is on, it gets compressed. When the pump shuts off, it expands and pushes backwards and sends DE out the suction side.

Find the air leak and fix it, bleed all the air out of the tank, and see if that doesn't stop the DE backflow.

Also, did you make sure the vent hose comes all the way up above the grids inside, and that the little screen isn't plugged? Don't ask me to explain what it's supposed to do, but there have been a lot of weird things happen inside DE filters when that tube and screen aren't working right.

Thank you Richard320. I will check the vent hose to make sure it's unclogged and confirm it's above the grids.

As for the air leak, how would you go about finding it? Since I have an inground pool, I'd like to do everything I can before having to dig up the skimmer line.
I'm absolutely sure there is no vortex in the skimmer. Not sure what you mean by "stuck weir"?

Thanks again!

Thank you Richard320. I will check the vent hose to make sure it's unclogged and confirm it's above the grids.

As for the air leak, how would you go about finding it? Since I have an inground pool, I'd like to do everything I can before having to dig up the skimmer line.
I'm absolutely sure there is no vortex in the skimmer. Not sure what you mean by "stuck weir"?

Thanks again!
The flapper inside the skimmer. If it sticks, the water level drops inside the skimmer. It may not show a vortex, but it will get air that way.

Check all the fittings on your three-way valve, as well as the stem seal. Either dribble the hose across them and see if the bubbles stop or coat the thing with shaving cream and see if it sucks a hole in the foam.

The flapper inside the skimmer. If it sticks, the water level drops inside the skimmer. It may not show a vortex, but it will get air that way.

Check all the fittings on your three-way valve, as well as the stem seal. Either dribble the hose across them and see if the bubbles stop or coat the thing with shaving cream and see if it sucks a hole in the foam.

We do not have a flapper inside our skimmer, but I will check the fittings on the three way valve as you suggested. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.