Updated test results...08.08.14

Re: First T100Test results...

Add muratic acid. It will push down both the pH and TA.

If you haven't done so, get some chlorine and stabilizer in the pool.

Use the pool math link above to figure out how much of what you need.

What he said^^^

To be more specific.... 1 qt of 31.45% Muriatic acid dribbled in front of the return stream will fix the pH for a few days. It will climb again within a day or two due to the high TA.

Next, you want to pour a whole 4 lb canister of stabilizer into a sock and tie it off and set it in the skimmer or dangle it in front of the return stream. That will bring your CYA level to just about 50. So don't be adding any pucks or powdered chlorine, or it will overdo the CYA. Don't bother testing it for a week.

By the time that's done, you've probably waited long enough after the acid to add some bleach. A quart and a splash of 8.25% Clorox or equivalent will get your FC up to 3, which is about as high as you want for now, since there will be no CYA in the water yet. As CYA dissolves, you'll need to target a little higher. From 3 now to about 7 when it's all dissolved, so just guesstimate based on how much is left in the sock. You will need to feed the pool some bleach every day.

How I came up with these numbers is poolmath. A good writeup on how to use it is here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/114-poolmath-pool-calculator

More explanations on how to chlorinate, what other chemicals you need, and how to add them are here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/113-pool-chemistry

And if everything I just wrote makes no sense, start easy, here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/123-abc-of-pool-water-chemistry

Thanks, i'll do both tomorrow and then wait a week to test again. I used the pool calculator and came up with the same amount of MA but wanted to make sure i was doing everything correctly. Thanks again.

- - - Updated - - -

Do i do the sock thing as soon as i get finished with the MA? Or do i need to wait a day or two?

Do i do the sock thing as soon as i get finished with the MA? Or do i need to wait a day or two?

Nope. You can do it at the same time almost. Put in the MA and let your pump circulate it around while you're preparing the sock full of CYA. Then toss that in and you're done with those. I like to hang my CYA sock in the middle of two small section of pool noodle joined to make an "x", using big fat broccoli rubberbands. That way I can squeeze it easily to speed its dissolving and it doesn't get stuck against the wall or pulled into the weir.

Thanks for the help guys! So glad I found this website. :)
We are glad you are here. Just remember, if you stop by the pool store (I still do occasionally) and tell them how you are maintaining your pool they are going to look at you like you have three heads. Then they are going to explain how you are going to ruin your pool and equipment. Mainly they are just mad because you won't be dropping huge sums of money with them....

My girlfriend is worried about using the bleach and MA as she says she has sensitive skin. I told her that the amounts being used isnt going to do any harm with the amount of water thats in the pool. Any one else have to explain that to someone else?

My girlfriend is worried about using the bleach and MA as she says she has sensitive skin. I told her that the amounts being used isnt going to do any harm with the amount of water that's in the pool. Any one else have to explain that to someone else?
Regularly. But just explain chlorine is chlorine. It doesn't matter where it comes from - bleach - pool store jug - Salt Water Chlorine Generator (this one gets lots of folks who don't know what a "salt water pool" really is).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Just about everyone that has been in my pool. LOL "what do you mean you ONLY use bleach to keep your pool clean? Why can't I smell it? It did not hurt my eyes so you much be wrong." LOL Of course this is after they ask how I keep my pool so sparkly.

When I show them my chemical storage box they are believers! Got to love TFP!

Kim

Ok, I've added everything that I've been told to do.
I cringe just the tiniest bit when I read this. We really don't want you to do these things because someone here on the forum has told you to.

My favorite response would be, " I have read the article you suggested and I understand why I am adding the XXXX and I understand why I am using XXXXXX amount. Best of all, I understand the expected outcome and feel like it won't be long before I can do this stuff myself.

Armed with this accumulated knowledge, you will soon be managing your pool water in a meaningful way and getting the results you have learned to expect..

We hope all our students will get to a level where they can teach others and benefit from the community knowledge on this forum.

Updated test results...

Chlorine - 2
Ph - 7.8
TA - 170
CYA - 55-60

I just backwashed the pool if that has anything to do with my results.

According to the pool math calculator i need to add the following:
43 oz. of bleach
42 oz. of MA - which will also help lower my TA(been high since i filled pool)
And then im supposed to replace my water to lower my CYA?!?

Is there any way to lower my CYA another way?

Updated test results...need a lil advice please

Yes your FC needs to get into range for your CYA level. It is low. That would be a min of 5 and you should be targeting 9. That gives you some wiggle room for FC loss so you don't fall below your min. Can you give a CC result and how does your water look ?
With your CYA level at 60 you can just let it there. Just keep your FC in range for it. That will take testing and adding chlorine everyday. Your pool water gets hungry for chlorine so you have to feed it !
Your TA will also come down over time by lowering your PH with acid. When it gets to 7.8 drop it down some. ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.