Updated test results...08.08.14

Re: Updated test results...

Chlorine - 2
Ph - 7.8
TA - 170
CYA - 55-60

I just backwashed the pool if that has anything to do with my results.

According to the pool math calculator i need to add the following:
43 oz. of bleach
42 oz. of MA - which will also help lower my TA(been high since i filled pool)
And then im supposed to replace my water to lower my CYA?!?

Is there any way to lower my CYA another way?
No, the only way to lower CYA is water replacement. This is whay you should add CYA in smaller doses and test your way up to your goal. Now, you have a smaller pool and with backwashing, rain and kids splashing water out it will go down slowly. You just have to keep a slightly higher FC level to compensate. My CYA is 80 (down from 200+) so it can be handled if you test the water and watch it.

I didn't go to Pool math to verify your numbers, but they sound right. With Muratic Acid I never measure. I guesstimate low as I'm adding it and re-test later or tomorrow morning, then add more. I figure pouring acid into a measuring cup is an accident waiting to happen.

After a while you get a feel for the pools appetite for chlorine and acid.

Cl - 7
Ph - 7.2
TA - 120
CYA - 65-70

According to pool math I don't need to add much of anything. Is this correct? Also, why does my CYA keep rising? Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
With a vinyl pool chlorinated with bleach here are your "Recommended Levels":

FC 5-8 (Due to CYA level)
pH 7.5-7.8
TA 70-90+
CH 0-350 (Don't add)

Now, what are you using to chlorinate? Any pucks or powdered shock? they contain CYA and their use will raise the level. If not then the "change" may just be differences in the last two readings. It is not exact and if you believe an error factor of 10 your old 55-60 is not that far off from your new 65-70.

Probably because of that solid chlorine it appears you're using. Trichlor and dichlor will do that. Or you put way too much Stabilizer than required to and it's still catching up to you.

- - - Updated - - -

Or worse, you're still adding Stabilizer?

I quit adding stabilizer about a week ago. The pool looks good, i'm just worried about it because it's my first pool. Don't want it turning green. :/

Thanks for all the help everyone.

You won't have green water as long as you maintain the proper FC range. That would be a target of 9 and never below 4. As long as your CYA stays at 70. You don't want to take that any higher. ?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.