Pool by the numbers (leveling out the levels) :-)

Wow, 2 days! You can't wait that long between rounds of testing. Yes, it is absolutely normal to consume at least that much when fighting an outbreak. Even under sanitary conditions and correct CYA levels it is normal for a pool to consume 2ppm a day.

First and foremost, you need to understand the SLAM process and follow it stringently... until you pass the 3 criteria defined in the process.

It isn't SLAYD (Shock Level and You're Done). :D It stands for Shock Level & Maintain (SLAM). And the maintain element refers to maintaining shock levels (for your CYA level) till you're done... not maintain as you normally would if you aren't fighting algae.

Read carefully and completely, 10 times if necessary.
SLAM - Shock Level and Maintain

One of the 3 criteria to meet before you stop SLAMMING is the OFCL test, which you have the tools to do within the TF100 kit. It must be followed exactly as well.

OCLT - Overnight Free Chlorine Loss Test

Other handy titles:
Defeating Algae

ABCs of Pool Chemistry

- - - Updated - - -

...and used the brush from outside the pool to move it around a bit.

The brushing we're referring to is to actually brush the algae off the sides and bottom of the pool, not just to move around the chemicals you added. Your pump will handle circulation for you. Part of the SLAM process is to brush the surfaces daily to keep removing algae from the sides/bottom.

Hi! Sorry to hear about the pool issues and the personal issues as well. Family and friends do come first. :flower: I hope things work out.

Try to devote at least twice a day to testing and dosing with bleach. If it works out that you can, try to do it every hour to clear things up as quickly as possible. Hyperionguy has good advice. Read up and ask questions if you don't understand something.

So overshot the bleach just a little bit. When testing tonight I tested at 13 free chlorine. I will test again in the morning before I go to work and I will not be able to test again until after 7 PM tomorrow night. Unfortunately I'm not home during the day to be able to check the levels periodically.

I always overshoot a couple, especially if i can't test frequently. 12 is your shock level, so starting at 13 will put you back at 12 in no time, then somewhat below shock level for most of the day. No worries, it just takes longer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How does your water look today Steve?

Well it was getting pretty good, but then we had two days of thunderstorms and rain! Miss me up pretty bad. I was not able to get out and do anything with it and I ended up with billions of leaves in the bottom of my pool! :(

- - - Updated - - -

Also whenever we were trying to get the ladder to stop floating we found that we could pull the bottom plate off of the bottom of the ladder and fill it with sand. We did this. Big mistake. Sand all over the bottom of the pool. Unfortunately I had not yet gotten an automatic pool cleaner and had no way to vacuum the sand up off the floor. It was just a big mess for for a little while.

A few days ago I purchased a Hayward Aqua critter off of eBay. But as I mentioned earlier it rained for a couple of days and wind blew tons of leaves into the pool most of them sitting on the bottom of the pool. So today whenever I got home from work I put on some shorts and jumped into the pool it was a cozy 71°! Burr!

Jumped in with the leaf rake got the majority of the leafs off the floor and out of the pool and then threw in my aqua critter and then let it go to work. Much of the sand had settled and stuck to the bottom of the floor so the critter was having a hard time getting a lot of the sand I had to get a brush brush the crustacean to loosen it up. Other than that I love this little awkward critter! It's doing a fine job.

All of my numbers are basically the same except for the free chlorine and it registered a 4.5 this evening. I don't detect any more slimy stuff growing on the walls or the bottom but I know that I did not keep the free chlorine up to shock level, or maybe I did but I was unable to test the water the next day due to the storms. So with a couple days of the pool not being attended to I don't know if I actually held shock level long enough or not. I assume I just need to start the process again. What say you?

- - - Updated - - -

My target is 7 and I usually shoot for 8-9 so it's not below my minimum before the next evening.

Sounds like a great idea! :)

You need to do an OCLT to see what you're losing. If it's anything over 1ppm FC, you need to continue to SLAM the pool.

Hey everyone! I have not had time to update... But I have things getting back on track and the pool is looking good! We have been enjoying it so much! Maintenance has been very difficult with all the storms. The rain wrecks my water and somebody around the pool when it rains that I can't even hardly get out there to it said during the stormy weather I neglected it for a few days. Got some algae growth kicking in again. Slammed the pool again in the numbers are starting to look good-ish again.

My dad myself and and the little nephew went swimming today. It is so nice to have the pool as an excuses to get out and hang out together playing with the little guy!

imagejpg1_zpscd814165.jpg

I can now actualy tell you why I have struggled with timing on the pool. For anyone who remembers, it was a really big deal to get the pool and have it installed before the 4th of july holiday. I even bought one pool on CL and after my dad and brother and brother in law having a nightmare of a time putting it together and having all kinds of issues...and my dad getting very ill....I made a fast decision to scrap the CL pool and purchase a new pool and have it installed.

The reason for the hurry to get it installed, and for my struggle to maintain due to previously undisclosed personal issues was because...while trying to install the CL pool and my dad having a lot of issues, we talked him in to going to the doctor. After a few tests and followups....it was discovered, and my dad was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer we were told the form of cancer he has is very agressive. I wanted to get a new pool and have it installed so he didn't have to worry about all that work. I just wanted him to be able to enjoy it and to give the family our summer weeks with an extra excusse to spend time together and it has been very nice for all of us. In spite of some set backs...blake and pool supply world went to great messures to make the timing of this come together and thanks to their understanding of the importantance for our family and wanting to be a part of making that happen for us, we had it up and was swimming just in time for the 4th of july holiday and have had many swims since. As a family, we are commited to fighting the good fight with Dad...and thanks to PSW, TFP and a lot of very kind folks...we have been enjoying the experience of having our first pool and spending more time together in an enjoyable, relaxing setting.

It's still very difficult to stay on top of the pool...but thanks for all of you who have gently and graciously helped me. Your kindness has allowed me to focus more on my dad, and less on doing my own **** research on the pool stuff. For that time you have given me with my dad and my family...I am forever greatful! If you have sent me a private message, or replied to one of my threads with encouragement or advise...THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Thank you all,
Steve

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.