Help with possible mustard algae!

adrob2

Jul 9, 2014
Chapel Hill, NC
New to forum, just bought a house this year with pool, first time pool owner with long story! Pool had green algae upon opening with pool guy, he shocked with diclor, ran SWG randomly at about 20% at his recommendation, only occasionally tested pH and FC with OTO kit, usually above 5 ppm FC and pH was around 7.2 initially, corrected to 7.4 with addition of pH up. Pool usually covered with automatic pool cover unless in use. Have always seen some yellow/brown deposits on areas of the floor of the pool that brushed away easily. Assumed they were dirt or pollen, never seen on walls. Friend told me I probably had mustard algae. On advice of pool store guy I added 18 oz of 98% sodium bromide and 9 lbs dichlor :( on 7/6/14, SWG running at 60%.

Then I found this website on Mon (7/7/14) :). Feel like I finally have some good advice on how to manage my pool! Ordered TF-100 and K-1776 salt kits. Numbers from Thurs:
Cya - 70
FC - 53 :eek:
CC - 0.0
CH - 75
Salt - 2800
Water clear (always has been clear since initial algae upon opening), still brushing away some yellow/brown substance but not as much as I'm brushing more often and pump running 24/7, turned off SWG. Will have to test for TA and adjust along with pH after SLAM. No chlorine added to pool since turning off SWG at this point.

Test numbers Fri after dusk:
FC - 45
CC - 0

Test numbers Sat at dawn:
FC - 45
CC - 0
Seems that SLAM is done, water still clear, still sometimes seeing some yellow/brown substance on floor though in small amounts. Above mustard algae shock levels for at least 2 days and probably more. Added 160 lbs of salt.

Tested this afternoon:
FC - 36
CC - 0
Salt - 3400
Water clear, still seeing small amount of yellow/brown on floor. Tried to feel an area with my finger but the water current as I was trying to touch it made it go "poof". Starting to think maybe it's just pollen or dust. There are a lot of trees in my yard, but doesn't seem like the pollen time of year. Tried to post photo, but couldn't get it to upload. Looks like thin line of yellow/brown along seam of vinyl liner. I also have a 400 gal Great Lakes 2004 hot tub and have slammed it too, just found Nitro's thread on hot tub chemistry and will be applying that. No algae or yellow/brown deposits ever seen in hot tub, but brought to mustard level shock level for 24 hrs to make sure it hasn't transferred. Thanks for all of the very helpful info on this site and for your opinions!

With FC levels that high, whatever it is it is not algae. Mustard algae does not come back when at shock level or above. It only comes back when the FC level comes back down to normal levels.

That is almost certainly pollen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.