Replaced spider gasket-now what?

Jul 9, 2013
Crozier, VA
Original problem was filter sand coming into the pool via returns. Took apart filter, checked the lateral, no cracks. Reassembled and restarted, still sand coing in from the filter. Took apart the VariFlo XL valve and saw the spider gasket was chewed up, so ordered a key/seal assembly with a gasket. Question-when it arrives, can I just pop it in the Vari-FLo valve and start it up or do I need to take the sand filter apart again to clean out the sand from the folding lateral assembly? I'm also assuming I can vacuum up the sand still in the bottom of the pool back into the filter or is that a no-no? Many thanks for all the help!

I would change out the key/seal assembly and put some silicone pool lube on the new one then put it back together. Then I would do a quick backwash and rinse before putting it in filter mode, just to make sure all the sand is where it is supposed to be. You can vacuum up the sand in the bottom of the pool.

zappa,

Just a bit off the subject, but do you remember if you always moved that multi-port handle in the same direction each time? (Most choose clockwise).

The idea being that they tend to stay seated a bit better and seal a little better if they are rotated in the same direction constantly.

Your description
and saw the spider gasket was chewed up
made me think this might be a good time to review that procedure. I have always rotated mine clockwise but never had anything to really compare it to.

zappa,

Just a bit off the subject, but do you remember if you always moved that multi-port handle in the same direction each time? (Most choose clockwise).

The idea being that they tend to stay seated a bit better and seal a little better if they are rotated in the same direction constantly.

Your description made me think this might be a good time to review that procedure. I have always rotated mine clockwise but never had anything to really compare it to.

Good thought, Durleigh. This is an inherited pool; we bought the house with the pool 4.5 yrs. ago and I've been learning more about it each year. When I get the gasket assembly replaced I'll keep that in mind as I continue using it. Also, pressing down completely before moving the lever. It really helps to delve into the guts of something to see how it works best.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.