Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Test kits question

1. Back To Top    #1

Test kits question

So we went to the store today and i talked to my parents again about the TF-100 and they werent to fond of coughing up the money so we went for a AquaChem 3 way test kit, bromine, chlorine, PH

Whadya guys think?

RESULTS coming soon

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test kits question

Quote Originally Posted by Cyric View Post
    So we went to the store today and i talked to my parents again about the TF-100 and they werent to fond of coughing up the money so we went for a AquaChem 3 way test kit, bromine, chlorine, PH

Whadya guys think?

RESULTS coming soon
    Sorry to say, you get what you pay for.

To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All the kits on the recommended test kits list contain that test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah i know but this is all i could afford, and PH FC and bromine are the basics

4. Back To Top    #4

I look at it like this... 1 wrong move with an inferior test kit & or opening the pool up with wrong test results just cost ya the difference between the 2 test kits. At least thats how im selling the purchase to the wife.lol.
    20K gal, Fiberglass, 1.5 hp Century Pump, Sta-Rit System 3 Model PLM-100, 100 SQ Foot. Inline Frogger Chlorinater Mineral pack removed, adjusted the Chlorine pac to put in my own when on vacation. Liquid Pool Sanitizer,, BBB style.

5. Back To Top    #5

On previous posts you say you use tabs and shock weekly, which says your CYA is going up. As it goes up you need to increase the amount of FC to compensate. Your 3 way kit is really a 2 way as the bromine test does nothing for you. Plus, the chlorine test is limited.

Relying on pool store testing is a bad idea. If you have read around here much you have probably seen that not much credence is given to pool store testing. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing.

But, with all that being said there are lost of folks who don't test at all so you are ahead of them.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok so, chlorine is off the charts, orange color in the test tube, and PH was abysmal, my grandpa is good at pools and is arriving shortly were gonna make a run to the pool store to raise the PH and lower the acid

Any advice?

7. Back To Top    #7

Dont mean to pile on but per tim505 first para "" Increase the amount of FC to compensate "" = MO $$$$$$$$$$.
    20K gal, Fiberglass, 1.5 hp Century Pump, Sta-Rit System 3 Model PLM-100, 100 SQ Foot. Inline Frogger Chlorinater Mineral pack removed, adjusted the Chlorine pac to put in my own when on vacation. Liquid Pool Sanitizer,, BBB style.

8. Back To Top    #8

were not gonna do that, were gonna increase the PH, lower acid levels, and stop putting so much chlorine we put 3 in there, now were putting 1.5

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Any advice?
    Yes, but it's blunt. Raising the pH and lowering the acid is about the same thing as filling your gas tank in the car and then draining it. That will have no affect other than to confuse you further......and you are already very confused about pool water chemistry.

Since you are not going to do what has been suggested, it is pointless to suggest anything else.

I'm sure your Grandpa will have a good grip on things and you can get your pool clear but there is no sense to ask for advice and then ignore it..........it wastes everyone's time.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Cyric. If you haven't already take a look at these articles. Gaining the knowledge will go along way in making your life easier maintaing your water chemistry. The TF-100 test kit is the right tool for the job.
    How To Chlorinate Your Pool
    ABC'S Of Pool Water Chemistry
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

11. Back To Top    #11

For me keeping track of the test results, actions due to results, weather, pool activities like aerating, cleaning the filter, when i ran the pump, added water, ect are essential to getting a grasp on what happens per the activities. I use an excel spreadsheet to tally the activities, read & ask Q's in the forums to help with the lessons learned process.

I REALLY HATE making the same mistake twice or not knowing the how what and when.

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Just to clarify the statements being made: The TF-100 tests for Free Chlorine, Combined Chlorine, pH, Total Alkalinity, Calcium Hardness, and CYA. For a plaster pool all 6 of these are vital.

The AquaChem 3-way tests for pH and Total Chlorine (Not FC as you said earlier). The TC test also measures bromine, but you don't have a bromine pool so that number isn't useful for you. So this 3-way kit only tests 1 important number, leaving 5 vital numbers a mystery.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

13. Back To Top    #13

TF-100 was ordered, looking forward to testing everything, have a feeling CYA is high

14. Back To Top    #14

Test kits question

That will be money well invested ! Congrats. 👍
    Post up a full set of test results when it comes and lots of people to help ya out ! 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

15. Back To Top    #15

TF-100 was ordered, looking forward to testing everything, have a feeling CYA is high

Waiting for results...

16. Back To Top    #16

I was really close to giving up on this thread earlier this afternoon. Congrats on coming to your senses and making the right choice. You'll be glad you did! !!!
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

17. Back To Top    #17

We have other projects on it to, undernearth the pump the concrete block is soaked as, so my pumps leaking, and my nature 2 box is leaking out the sides so were gonna fix that, Heres my to-do list

1:New guage
    2: Test water
    3: repair pump
    4: repair nature 2/add nature2

Were almost considering dumping half the pool due to our chlorine levels being through the roof but we are going to wait for the TF-100 results before we do anything

18. Back To Top    #18

Test kits question

I wouldn't even bother fixing the nature 2. No need for it. Take that time to do the reading in the articles I provided you with in a previous post.
    Jeff

19. Back To Top    #19

Don't worry about the chlorine it will come down all on its own. For sure, don't dump any water for it. You have pucks in it? You can take them out if you think the fc is too high, but I'd wait for your test kit to come in. This might be one time to get your pool store to test the fc-- I wouldn't even bother to have them test the cya.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir

20. Back To Top    #20

One second here! On the 10th you said you ordered the tf-100? Was all this acid we went thru today for nothing? ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast