Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to connect a new pump

1. Back To Top    #1

How to connect a new pump

Weird question i know, but i got a new Hayward pump and screwed in the PVC fitting using teflon tape, i didn't use PVC glue on that part because it needs to be disconnected in the future.
    it always leaks no matter how hard i tightened it and how much teflon tape i use.

Should i put PVC glue there? or is there a different way to connect the pvc adapter?
    Our Build 2016 14.5' x 26' IG Pebble, 14.5K Gal. 3.5' - 6.5' deep, 5 returns, 2 Skimmers, Hayward VS pump, Hayward 525 Cartridge Filter, Hayward E-Command 4, Heliocol Solar, Hayward LED Light, Paramount Ultraviolet, Polaris 280, AquaRite Pro, T-CELL-15, Sense and Dispense (HL-CHEM), Ph Dispense System (AQL-CHEM3) , Taylor K-2006 with SpeedStir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to connect a new pump

do ya have a pic of the setup ? sounds like a pressure issue. Tape is not that good for higher pressure areas IMO. Can ya adapt up to a valve and cement/glue the fitting area in question ? Can a O-Ring be added ?
    20K gal, Fiberglass, 1.5 hp Century Pump, Sta-Rit System 3 Model PLM-100, 100 SQ Foot. Inline Frogger Chlorinater Mineral pack removed, adjusted the Chlorine pac to put in my own when on vacation. Liquid Pool Sanitizer,, BBB style.

3. Back To Top    #3

Usually pipe dope works better on these larger fittings. Make sure it is approved for PVC and ABS.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes the pipe dope is better on large dia. fittings.
    Most important do not over tighten or you run the risk of cracking the female end of the pump. Hand tighten. The male end of the fitting has a slight taper to it. There will still be threads showing when it's tight enough.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you for your help.

I replaced the fitting, added 2x Teflon tape - no leaks.
    Our Build 2016 14.5' x 26' IG Pebble, 14.5K Gal. 3.5' - 6.5' deep, 5 returns, 2 Skimmers, Hayward VS pump, Hayward 525 Cartridge Filter, Hayward E-Command 4, Heliocol Solar, Hayward LED Light, Paramount Ultraviolet, Polaris 280, AquaRite Pro, T-CELL-15, Sense and Dispense (HL-CHEM), Ph Dispense System (AQL-CHEM3) , Taylor K-2006 with SpeedStir