Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: winterizing liquid chlorine dispenser

1. Back To Top    #1

winterizing liquid chlorine dispenser

So I'm putting in a stenner pump and I am curious... Is there anything special you do for winterizing the system? It goes way below freezing here.
    16' wide ~20,000gal IG vinyl lazy L shape pool circa 2002, 1hp Hayward Super Pump, Hayward S244T sand filter, Hayward H250ED2 gas heater, Hayward eVac Pro robot, Stenner pump for chlorine, TF-100 test kit
    2008 Gulf Coast 864 LEi hot tub

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: winterizing liquid chlorine dispenser

Well, my first reaction is to look to chem geek, where he said:
    Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    The freezing point depression for 6% Sodium Hypochlorite as found in Clorox Regular and most Ultra brands of bleach is 7.3C or 13.1F so the freezing point is -7.3C or 19F.

The freezing point of full-strength Muriatic Acid (31.45% Hydrochloric Acid) is -46C (-50.8F) (for Hasa; other brands quote even lower freezing points) so unless you live in the Artic, I think you are safe to leave your Muriatic Acid outside.
    I'm going to guess it gets below -7.3C or 19F in Burlington, Ontario so you will have to deal with it.

I would pull the tubing out of the pump and move it and the bleach container to a location that it won't freeze.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

3. Back To Top    #3

I take the pump head indoors for the winter.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Figured as much. Thanks. It does hit -30C or so at least a couple of times each winter.
    16' wide ~20,000gal IG vinyl lazy L shape pool circa 2002, 1hp Hayward Super Pump, Hayward S244T sand filter, Hayward H250ED2 gas heater, Hayward eVac Pro robot, Stenner pump for chlorine, TF-100 test kit
    2008 Gulf Coast 864 LEi hot tub