Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air bubbles in system filter pressure dropped to 0

1. Back To Top    #1

Air bubbles in system filter pressure dropped to 0

Noticed this when I got back into town. Filter dropped to zero and air is coming out of return eyeballs and is inside the clear thing in front of the pump.

It was fine about 3 days since I left for business.

So process of elimination.

1. Checked skimmer, just a few bugs not clogged.
    2. Checked clear basket in front of pump and relubbed oring/inspected. Both are ok.
    3. Opened up filters, cartridge filters look good nothing wrong and nothing blocking them.
    4. did the bucket test to make sure there was no leak after 24hrs water is even with pool ( dropped 1/8th of an inch in 104 heat).
    5. sprayed pool equipment with water from a spray bottle to see if there were any noticeable bubbles and nothing.

Out of ideas whats my next step to check?

Return eyes aren't moving water as strong as they were when I left but it isn't a drastic reduction.
    Pump still going strong running it only 4hrs in the daytime 6 at night with the heat.
    16k gallons
    IG "roman style" plaster
    Pentair CCP420 Clean and Clear Plus Pool and Spa Cartridge Filter, 150-GPM
    1hp pump
    Built in 2000

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Air bubbles in system filter pressure dropped to 0

Make sure there is enough water in the skimmer(s). If the water level is too low a vortex will form allowing the skimmer to draw in air along with the water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Its a little over halfway up little overfilled I guess based on my halfway mark but otherwise good.
    16k gallons
    IG "roman style" plaster
    1hp pump
    Built in 2000

4. Back To Top    #4

Sometimes the weir door gets stuck and causes suction problems. Make sure swings freely in the proper direction.
    Walnut Creek, CA. 18k gallon Pebble Sheen + 1.5k gallon IG spa, 1.5hp whisperflo main pump, Pentair clean and clear 420, Intellichlor IC20, Polaris 360 w/booster,Jandy lite 2 natural gas, plus solar with Heliomatic 5000 controller and 3/4 hp booster

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm getting more and more confused now.

The air bubbles stopped but the filter pressure is 0. I didn't do anything at all. Any ideas?

Weir door swings freely and was replaced like 2 months ago.
    16k gallons
    IG "roman style" plaster
    1hp pump
    Built in 2000

6. Back To Top    #6

Did you try "burping" the cartridge filter? If not, open the valve at the top, run the pump until all the air is pushed out and water shoots, then tighten the valve again.
    Walnut Creek, CA. 18k gallon Pebble Sheen + 1.5k gallon IG spa, 1.5hp whisperflo main pump, Pentair clean and clear 420, Intellichlor IC20, Polaris 360 w/booster,Jandy lite 2 natural gas, plus solar with Heliomatic 5000 controller and 3/4 hp booster

7. Back To Top    #7

Did that a few times after water comes out I close it and 10 mins later air will come out again.
    16k gallons
    IG "roman style" plaster
    1hp pump
    Built in 2000

8. Back To Top    #8

It sure sounds like you are sucking air from somewhere. Somewhere on this site there is a permanent article on what to check if you are sucking air. I have had a lot of trouble with that myself. It has never been anything serious. Low water and weir door problems for me. Others have big trouble getting the lid basket O ring installed properly. Less often it seems to be obstructions in the line from the skimmer to the pump. Rarer still are broken pipes under ground or loose joints above ground. So as you continue to fight, I would suggest you go in that order and eliminate each one. But it has to be one of the problems above. Check and double check and you will find it eventually.

9. Back To Top    #9

Just wanted to update this since I had a weird situation and maybe it might be helpful for others if they are searching.

Turns out that a blade of long grass went thru the skimmer and managed to somehow wrap around the impeller and it was causing the pump to work slower or somehow create air bubbles. Only found out about it since it wrapped so tight the bolt holding it came loose and started rattling.
    16k gallons
    IG "roman style" plaster
    1hp pump
    Built in 2000