Green Pool

I got 28 this last test. This chlorine test seems kind of random. Anybody else have issues with it? Does it matter if I put two drops and swirl or do I need to swirl on each drop? Going to be hard to test overnight drop if tests are so random. I am going to wait 2 hours and test this time. I don't think the algae is eating it very fast. Plus I don't want to run out of the DPD powder in the middle of my slam.

Each drop-- that's why a speed stir is so handy. Just drop drop drop and let the machine do all the swirling. I've never seen random tests. If there's a leslies in Lincoln, give them a call and see if they have any r-0870 in stock. So you don't run out, same with the r-0871

Ok, the chlorine is still 26 overnight. The pool doesn't look any different. The more I'm thinking, it might be a filter problem. I wish pool stores weren't so backed up here in Lincoln. I called them 3 weeks ago to come out and change the sand and check the laterals but nothing yet. Its getting ridiculous. This is frustrating. I'll keep it above 20 for the next couple days and see if there is any improvement. Plus there seems to be a brown-orange-ish residue at the bottom of my pool (and a lot of it) that wasn't there before the pool company came out and vaccumed (before I started this whole process). I got in and felt it and it didn't feel very coarse at all. I don't know how coarse sand in the filter is but I couldn't feel any coarseness. Anybody have filter issues? Does bad filter keep the pool green, its a tea green (bright green in the sun) in the deep end and slightly cloudy (non-green) in the shallow end?

I called them 3 weeks ago to come out and change the sand and check the laterals but nothing yet. Anybody have filter issues? Does bad filter keep the pool green, its a tea green in the deep end and slightly cloudy (non-green) in the shallow end?
Sand almost never needs changing except for a few unique situations like a baqua to chlorine conversion. Sand replacement is another one of those areas that pool stores make extra profit from unnecessary work. If you are handy you can deep clean the filter yourself

The pool water and chlorine flows thru the sand filter, so it is unlikely that something could be growing there.

You only really started your SLAM yesterday. You have to give it time to work. A one day SLAM is not unheard of, but it is when someone is starting with clear water.

Remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint. You have to keep the FC level up and consistently above shock level as long as it takes.

Test water
adjust to shock level
repeat

You should be brushing once a day

The best advice for this part of the SLAM is:calm:

FC dropped down to 17. Putting 2 jugs in now. That should bring it up to 24. I think I'm going to test at morning, noon, 5, bedtime. Try to get it up to 24 in case of drop in chlorine. If I test too much, I might run out of reagent. I have ordered more but it won't be here until Friday. What is swcg by the way?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Had a production upgrade at work over lunch that didn't go very smoothly, just got home. I.T. work can be as frustrating as owning a pool sometimes. But I am a very happy camper! I got a non-green pool!!!! Its the first time it hasn't been green in month and 1/2. I know I got lot of work to do. Its still white and very cloudy. The Chlorine fell to 16. I boosted it up to 24 with 6 bottles of 6% 96 oz bleach. Should I add clarifier now? I am calling up the pool store and cancelling my sand change. And pictures as always. Day 2
IMG_0872.jpg

I've used clarifier in the past when the pool companies would open my pool (for the last 5 years) and it couldn't quite get super clear and it actually worked. I'll skip it this time though. I never tried the DE method. Too early still though.

While I'm on the subject of pool companies. I've never opened my pool. Pool companies would do it, shock it once and it would get clear. (I opened way later this year due to vacation trip) They would come out and vaccuum after it was clear and I would be good. For 5 years. Never had a green pool.

This year I opened it and it stayed green. I went to a different pool company and he told me to add 6 lb of shock (which the shock I had was dichlor). I put about 40 lb of shock in it in the end. Thats why I ended up with a 200 cya. There tests said I had a 70 cya. Way off! Can't believer they even test that if it is way wrong. They came out and vacuumed while I was shocking it. And then it did finally get clear. They came out and vacuumed again and didn't vacuum to waste the whole time but used the filter because they ran out of water. It got very cloudy again and green. They put another 6 lb of shock in it and told me that it should be good. Stayed green for the last month. I put 11 lbs more of shock in it and still nothing. Then they abandoned me basically and said it was my filter.

Anyways. I am going to start opening my pool up myself from now on. I'll probably still pay them to close it because that requires some serious air power which I don't have. Do you just take out the plugs in the returns and the plastic thing in the skimmer. Fill up. Start the filter. Then start the slam process?

Anyways. I am going to start opening my pool up myself from now on. I'll probably still pay them to close it because that requires some serious air power which I don't have. Do you just take out the plugs in the returns and the plastic thing in the skimmer. Fill up. Start the filter. Then start the slam process?

Take off your winter cover. Screw down winter cover anchors (I had to call a pool company to come out and get mine down because some were stuck).

You will probably have to put a few plugs in your above ground equipment (filter, pump, etc). Make sure that you add a little pool lube to the plug gaskets.

I've used clarifier in the past when the pool companies would open my pool (for the last 5 years) and it couldn't quite get super clear and it actually worked.
Remember, this was the old way. The clarifier helped because they were not doing things right in the first place. You will find that with proper TFPC maintenance that it will be completely unnecessary 99.99% of the time. In fact you might be surprised by just how clear you pool will get.

As for that bill, I certainly cannot offer you legal advice, but I would consider talking with someone who can.

I am going to vacuum myself this time. I never had to vacuum an open pool. I never had the cool utility they have that traps debris from getting in the skimmer. And I have clogged my skimmer before and didn't want to do it again. I am purchasing one now. Anybody have tips on vacuuming all the dirt on the bottom of pool? And does this one seem good? And if you know where to get it cheaper, chime in!
http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-R211084-Clear-Handle-Cleaner/dp/B001E8ZL8S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1405632306&sr=8-2&keywords=leaf+trap+pool

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.