Green Pool

But, I have to tell you, 40-50% is not in the ballpark 15% of your pool is 3000 gals. I've seen others suggest draining and filling at the same time. The only way that can come closer to working with decent results is to read your water meter before you start them reading it often till you get the amount you wanted to replace.

No such thing as an average, every pool is different. I've read horror stories in some threads about 20 - much more bottles used to ckean up a pool. I'd get add much as I can carry. Bswg(before swg), I'd buy 10 bottles at a time that'd last a couple weeks. I've never really had to slam, but during a minor algae bloom I used 6 bottles to clear it up. That was at the tail end of my using solid chlorine in my pool and replacing 40000 gals to get rid of all the cya. Haven't had a problem since!

Ok, I went to Walmart and bough 10 8.5% 121 oz bleach jugs. A 50 cya level requires 20 FC for shock by the pool calculater. I put it into the chlorine calculator and I would need to use 5 jugs to get to 20. Does that sound right? Also should I measure the chlorine level after I shock it or wait a while? Then how frequently should I check and see the chlorine levels and add to it if need be? I work 8 to 5 tomorrow but can come home at noon. Then each night I need to check to see if it is less than a 1ppm drop in chlorine. When this happens I can stop maintaining the shock. Does this sound about right? My Free Chlorine is 0 and my combined Chlorine is .2. (It was barely pink)

Ok, I went to Walmart and bough 10 8.5% 121 oz bleach jugs. A 50 cya level requires 20 FC for shock by the pool calculater. I put it into the chlorine calculator and I would need to use 5 jugs to get to 20. Does that sound right? Also should I measure the chlorine level after I shock it or wait a while? Then how frequently should I check and see the chlorine levels and add to it if need be? I work 8 to 5 tomorrow but can come home at noon. Then each night I need to check to see if it is less than a 1ppm drop in chlorine. When this happens I can stop maintaining the shock. Does this sound about right? My Free Chlorine is 0 and my combined Chlorine is .2. (It was barely pink)

5 jugs sounds right .... my pool is 21K too and i use 1/2 a jug to bump it up 2 ppm. You may want to do 5 and 1/2 to get to 22 so once it drops a little you are still maintaining SLAM level. Once you have added the chlorine do a thorough brushing and after 30 minutes from the addition go ahead and test. Give it an hour and test again and bring it back to 22. At that point you will have some idea of how fast it is eating chlorine. Test every hour while you can and bring it back up. Do the OCLT and bump it back above SLAM level before work, come home at lunch and do the same then hit it regularly after work.

- - - Updated - - -

You may be able to get 12.5 percent liquid chlorine from a hardware store and save a few bucks. I get 5 gallons for $14 dollars which basically gets me 50 percent more chlorine for $1 less for 5 gallons.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Started the filter, but still has a few inches until its full. I'll test the cya after it circulates for a couple hours. Anybody, I have a lot of dead algae/dirt on the floor, should I brush the floor too? This may make it harder to see if its working.

I tested the water 3 times and got 50 and tiny bit below 50. I am ready for the slam process. I want to thank everybody that has helped me so far. I don't know where I would be without you guys. I don't know what people did that had pools before the internet.

My first two years i spent 500 plus dollars and still had issues. I would wander around the pool store until i saw the manager and then i would latch onto him because he explained things better than the young kids that worked there. Now i control my own pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put 5.5 jugs of bleach in and waited 30 minutes. Tested. I got 58 (wish you could do more of 1 drop for 1 ppm). So my Free Chlorine is 29. Little higher than what I thought. Could be because I grabbed the water concentrated where I poured the bleach and wasn't circulated very well. Going to test in an hour and see what I get.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.