Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Green Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Green Pool

I have a green pool and was told to get the k-2006 taylor kit. I tested the CYA and it was way to high on it. So I mixed half tap water and half pool water and it tested 100. So 100x2, my CYA level is 200. I need to drain and refill probably a few times. My question is what is the safest amount to drain and how do I drain. I have a pool that's 16x32 with 8 ft deep end and 4 ft shallow end. I have a sand filter that can be set on waste. Do I shut the skimmer line and drain to waste?

Edited: For anybody who reads this. My pool store said I had a 70 CYA, when I really had a 200 CYA. For anybody going through this.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Green Pool

I'd drain in 1/3 increments-refill-circulate---repeat. Do you have a bottom drain? In ground or above? Please add a signature line to your profile listing all pool specs.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I do have a bottom drain. How far from the bottom of the shallow end do you think is 30%? 2 ft from the shallow end? How long do you think I should circulate before draining again?

4. Back To Top    #4

Before you go too far, you need another CYA test. If on a 1 to 1 dilution you came up with 100 again you very well could be over 200 (where I was when I started). Do the test 1 part pool water with 2 parts tap water - multiply the results by 3.

Here is a great chart by JamesW that gives you the extended dilution multipliers.

Pool water......Tap or distilled water.........Multiply result by

TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a k-2006 test kit too and the small-7ml mixing bottle that comes with it led me to a convoluted dilution process. What I suggest is to take the graduated test vial and pour pool water to the 10ml line, pour that into another plastic bottle or measuring cup. Then put tap water to the 10ml twice or three times swirl it to mix it and pour the diluted sample to the 7ml line on the small mixing bottle that comes with our kit, add reagent to the 14ml line mix it for 30 secs the drop it slowly into the test vital until the black dot completely disappears. Read the result and multiply it by the table in Tims post above. Saves on the r-0013 reagent and at least provides a close estimate of what your cya is.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I did this and it came to 90 x 2. So my cya is 180. I am draining until the 2 feet from the shallow end. Does this sound about right?
    16x32X8 Vinyl liner 21,000 gal.
    Hayward Pro Series S220T 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Taylor K-2006 Test

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

You can do as low as 1 foot left in the shallow end. This is enough to keep the liner from shifting. The first drain is your most important, it is the most concentrated CYA you are draining, so the more you do the first round the less you have to do after that.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

You actually need to find a level less than 90 but that should do for now. Is the 8' just the deep end or the average depth? Sorry I didn't see the 4' shallow end in the first post. But how did you come up with 21,000 gals? With an average depth of 6' pool math computes it at ~23000 gals. But no difference-- I'd leave 1 foot of water in the shadow end and that should reduce your cya by ~half. You'll want to test it again probably using that same dilution scheme.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir

9. Back To Top    #9

8 ft is deep 4 ft is shallow
    Taylor K-2006 Test

10. Back To Top    #10

You'll want to get a sure capacity of your pool for future use of pool math tho. When I took over my pool back in 2012, the previous owner said it was a 30,000 gal pool- it Wasn't!!! No wonder I had algae blooms for over two years. That and all the solid chlorine he had been using over many years.

11. Back To Top    #11

If I had a bad lateral on my sand filter and sand got in my pool. And my pool wasn't filtering right, would this effect the cya test?
    Taylor K-2006 Test

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Zegster View Post
    If I had a bad lateral on my sand filter and sand got in my pool. And my pool wasn't filtering right, would this effect the cya test?
    No. Sand is inert.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

But doesn't poor water filteration cloudy up the water and make the test not accurate?
    Taylor K-2006 Test

14. Back To Top    #14

No. If you fill you tube with straight pool water you will find that the dot is perfectly visible. Even very cloudy pool water isn't enough to effect the test.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

15. Back To Top    #15

If my pool has cumulated way more dirt than when it was clear. Is this sign of a bad filter (sand), or just algea dead from the leftover chlorine?
    Taylor K-2006 Test

16. Back To Top    #16

Anybody? My pool has more silt/dirt on the bottom than before it was clear. Could this just be dead algae? Its been at a high chlorine while it was green.
    Taylor K-2006 Test

17. Back To Top    #17

Green Pool

Dead algae will accumulate on the floor. Just vac it up. It's not a sign of a bad filter.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

18. Back To Top    #18

How long should I recirculate before I drain and refill again?
    Taylor K-2006 Test

19. Back To Top    #19

I am not sure I understand the question. If you mean is there a schedule to refilling the answer is no.

The reason most people have to drain is CYA accumulation caused by dichlor and trichlor use. This is the dreaded "chlorine lock" or "old water" that the pool stores invented to cover up their incompetence.

The only other reason to drain is high CH (mostly in the SW), and there isn't much to do about this other than be aware of the issue and deal with it as it arises.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

20. Back To Top    #20

I am draining and then refilling. After I refill, I was wondering how long do I recirculate the new water with the old water, before draining and refilling again. Meaning set my sand filter to filter again.
    Taylor K-2006 Test

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast