Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Combined Chlorine & Shock ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Combined Chlorine & Shock ?

My pool has been & still is crystal clear with no algae, but after reading the info here I decided to get the Taylor K-2006 just to make sure everything is in balance and safe. Here are my first readings: FC=4ppm, CC=1.4ppm, TA=120, pH=7.4, CH=200, CYA=70.
    So I then shocked the pool using liquid chlorine(Sodium Hypochlorite). I put in 3 gallons which I got from using the calculator which brought it up to 29ppm of FC. Just above the suggested shock target. Now 3 days later checking the numbers I get: FC=11.6ppm, CC=1ppm, TA=130ppm, pH=7.6, CH=200, CYA=70. I thought the shock treatment would eradicate the CC. Am I missing something? Do I need to repeat the shock again until the CC reads 0? This is an above ground 24' diameter 52" high pool.

Thanks for the help
    Size : 24' Diameter 52" high A.G
    Gallons : 14,500
    Filter : Hayward Perflex Extend Cycle D.E.
    Pump : Hayward Power - Flo Matrix
    Test Kit : Taylor K-2006 Complete (FAS-DPD Chlorine)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Combined Chlorine & Shock ?

Welcome to TFP!

"Shocking" a pool is not a one-time event, it is a process which we refer to as the SLAM Process. The FC must be maintained at the recommended shock/SLAM target until

1. CC is 0.5 or lower;
    2. You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
    3. And the water is clear.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds as if you stopped the SLAM process before passing all 3 criteria. Have you passed the OCLT?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

OK Looks like I didn't follow the steps correctly. I will maintain the FC to shock levels until I pass the OCLT and .5 or less of CC. Thanks for the help.
    Size : 24' Diameter 52" high A.G
    Gallons : 14,500
    Filter : Hayward Perflex Extend Cycle D.E.
    Pump : Hayward Power - Flo Matrix
    Test Kit : Taylor K-2006 Complete (FAS-DPD Chlorine)