Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA Question

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA Question

Hi all, once again have to start off by thanking everyone for the great advice here. Really enjoying being a pool owner this year! Anyway, my CYA has been about 100. Have confirmed this by adding tap water to sample and testing again like I was told here. So through heat and heavy use (kids can't seem to keep water in the pool) I have had to add water to the pool several times this year. I tested for CYA again yesterday (twice, did not believe numbers first time) and found my CYA to be 70. I need some reassurance here, I am quite confident in the number but with that will I reduce my free chlorine levels and want to stay away from....well you know the A word (algae)!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA Question

Just refer to the CYA/Chlorine chart. Keep your chlorine above the minimum for your CYA level. With a lower CYA, you can now maintain a lower FC level and get the same sanitizing power.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...art-slam-shock
    12500 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Pentair OptiFlo 1HP 2-Speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

To drop from 100 to 70 they would have needed to splash out more than 30%.

Do you have a SWG ?? For FC at 70 CYA you want to maintain 8ppm and not drop below 5.

Please add you pool info to your signature: http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...etting-started
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I agree, which leads to me being unsure. I cannot say with certainty that they splashed out more that 30%, I do not have a SWG. I have added all the info to my signature as requested. To be on the safe side, I am considering maintaining my levels as if my CYA is 100. Is there any down side to doing that?

Looks like I left out a TF-100 test kit in my signature.
    TF-100 Test Kit
    16 x 36 @26,000 Gallons Vinyl Inground Built in 2005
    Hayward Pro-Grid 4820 DE Filter
    Hayward HP-2100 Heat Pro Heat Pump
    Aquabot 4WD Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Excess chlorine level could be bothersome to swimmers. Higher cost in keeping the higher FC level. If you've tested it twice and you come up with 70, trust yourself and go with 70. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...70810081,d.b2U
    Maybe splash out and backwashing.

You can drop the location in your signature as it's in your profile and pops over on the left of your post and add the kit
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE

6. Back To Top    #6

sounds good to me, i think i am going to pump down to the light fill it up and do it again and see where that gets me CYA wise.*That was back on the 6th. Did you? I'd suggest it's almost impossible to splash or backwash out over 9,000 gallons of water in a week. I doubt draining to the light would be over 9, 000 gals either. Even combined with major splash out. When I drained and replaced water to get my cya down it was 8,000 gals x5 which was 2 ft of water per drain. 1 inch in your pool is just a tad over 400 gals.

And if you need to put more info in your sig, you can combine 2 lines into one.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Are you intentionally keeping the CYA level that high for a reason ??

8. Back To Top    #8

No, i never did pump out. Think I will do that and test again. As a matter of fact I am going to test again anyway-lol
    I have my doubts now! Thanks for the great advice everyone.
    I have updated my signature with the test kit I am using, and I will delete location now.
    TF-100 Test Kit
    16 x 36 @26,000 Gallons Vinyl Inground Built in 2005
    Hayward Pro-Grid 4820 DE Filter
    Hayward HP-2100 Heat Pro Heat Pump
    Aquabot 4WD Cleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

How deep is your pool? Mine is the same size rectangular (whoops, you've changed the size, but not volume) and is just under 24,000 gals. You didn't save the sig I guess?
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter