Ok, so having figured out so much about my pool thanks to this forum, I decided to see if my spa was ok. I normally just drain the water in the thing any time I feel it's becoming a problem. My normal routine from that point would be to just toss a bunch of bromine tabs in the filter bromine holder and let it run. A couple days later it would be just fine. Well I've always noticed the TA drops and drops over a few weeks time, so I've just been adding Leslie's "Alkalinity Up" (baking soda) to increase the TA. In the past the TA would go up and using dip strips I would check things and everything seamed fine. Well I don't test with dip strips anymore as I've gone to all Taylor tests and I'm having some major problems. My Ph was sky high today so I added some muriatic acid (very little) to bring it down to 6.8, I realized this would also decrease the TA. So I let the spa run for a while with both motors on full and the Ph went up to about 7.6 and I thought great. I then tested the TA and it was 50. Ok..too low. So I added Alkalinity up to increase the TA...and it did....but my Ph went way above 8.2 again. I repeated that process over and over...no luck. So right now I'm trying to get the Ph to stabilize around 7.0 and then I'll try to increase the TA.
So the question I have...what should I have done...and in what order. Clearly I did the wrong thing.