New Pool Owner-What is this Nature 2 Cartridge thing?

Maria

LifeTime Supporter
May 22, 2007
West Chester, PA
Hello everyone!

I need some advice!

So my really good friend bought a house with a pool. As a housewarming gift, I ordered him a TFTest Kit which will arrive Tuesday, and went over this morning to test his water and help him get started. Three days ago he said that since he had bought the pool 11 days ago he had not done anything to it, but the water was still clear. Just to hold things together until I got there today I had him add a gallon of 12.5 bleach on Thursday. He also added 2 pucks to the skimmer.
I have no idea of the sized of the kidney-shaped, gunite pool. There is an old Ray Vac cleaner, a 48 sq ft DE filter, a 1 1/2 hp motor and, surprise! a ClearVision Nature 2 Natural Water Purifier thingy. What the heck is that? What do I tell him? It has a clear lid like the pump filter basket with what look like very, very large white bb's floating around in the top.

And, any help estimating how many gallons in the older Sylvan pool would be wonderful. 3 feet in the shallow, 8 feet in the deep end.

Test results today from my TFTest kit:
FC 3.5
CC .5
CYA 100
pH 7.5
TA 70
CH 230
He was about to have 30+ people over to swim :crazy: in a couple of hours so we estimated using 20,000 gallons and I did have him add 32 oz of cal-hypo 68% that was in the pool pump house.
Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• photo(9).JPG
    photo(9).JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 44
  • photo(10).JPG
    photo(10).JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 44
I kinda figured that, but what do I tell him to do with it? Cut it out? Take the guts out and let the water flow through the empty housing? Proceed with advice (get that CYA down!) as though it wasn't there? What about all the metals in the water now? His daughter has blond hair!?

As John said, it adds metals to the pool which may help to prevent algae but does little to nothing for prevention of disease transmission. As an added bonus, the copper may eventually cause ugly staining in the pool and turn people's hair green. Best to get the metals out of the cartridge and stick with bleach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.