Psi pressure too high

Today I replaced my cartridge filter with a 22" radiant sand filter that takes 220 lbs of sand. I had to use my gauge from my other filter and it's reading 30- 35 psi so I back washed it and now it says 27 psi but from what I understand that is still too high? My pool is 12500 gal. It has a 1 1/2 hp pump and everything is working properly but the pressure makes me nervous. My pool was with out a filter for a month and it's not green but it's super cloudy and has a film and some stuff floating on top. You can't even see the bottom in the shallow end. What should I do... I put stabilizer/ clarifier, 5 lbs of shock and algae killer in it. Help!!!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

A pool pump is not capable of generating a pressure that is "too high" for the filter (meaning causing damage). It could be higher than you would expect, but with a large pump and restrictive plumbing, your number may not be too high. The gauge does go to zero when the pump is off right? And with a dirty pool, the filter is going to catch a lot of junk and the pressure will rise. We recommend backwashing when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.

As far as the path forward, you need to post test results to know what you are starting with ... you should certainly not continue to blinding add chemicals as that is the antithesis of what we teach.

To clear the pool, you will need to follow the SLAM process that is described in Pool School. And to do that correctly, you will need one of the recommended test kits that includes the FAS-DPD chlorine test.

If much of this does not make sense to you, please start with reading the ABC article in Pool School so we are talking the same language.

Welcome to TFP!

A 1-1/2HP pump is probably a poor match for a 22" filter. For that matter, that pump is probably way oversized for your pool. A 24" filter is barely able to handle a 1HP pump in most cases.

Post the model number of your pump and actual plate data including Service Factor (SF) from the motor plate on your pump for better info.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.