Paper Filter - exhausts green cloud when pump starts up

Jun 29, 2012
As with most of the mid-west this year we haven't had a lot of swim time this year due to the cold/rainy weather. As a result we've been struggling to regularly sweep the floor and brush the sides. Our water clarity is decent but we haven't reached the sparkling blue that we are used to.

We have a large 175 sq ft paper filter (Hayward Star-Clear Plus Model C17502 Cartridge Filter) and I believe the rest of my pool details show up in the signature.

We've had an unusual amount of algae this year, which i've attributed to poor cleaning schedule and storms which have un mercifully dumped leaves and other tree debris into the pool. Last year we only cleaned this filter three times in the entire season, this year we've cleaned it every three weeks.

the problem we're seeing is every time we turn off the pump to clean the basket upon start up we get a big green plume from the water return.

any thoughts on what might be causing this? have i somehow ruined my filter or improperly put it back together?

my pool chemistry is -

CYA - 40
TA - 130
PH - 7.4
FC - 4.6
CC - 0
salt - 3300ppm

I am not a good one to ask about cartridges but it sounds like yours is doing exactly what you ask.....removing debris from you pool. I don't see the link right now but there is one in Pool School that will show you how to deep clean that filter and then overnite soak it. Those two actions may get it right back to operating normally.

yeah, not really a question of it is removing the debris, the issue for me is that big green cloud every time the pump starts back up. I'd like the ugly green stuff to stay on the other side of the filter.

woody, I think you've called it out correctly. I noticed while vacuuming a greenish stream coming from my return line. I've experienced this at a lesser level previously with a paper filter but it looked mostly like everything I was picking up was just coming right back through the filter. I have a replacement filter on the way.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.

A filter, regardless of type, is not designed to filter out live algae and you will spin your wheels the rest of the summer until you finally decide to get adequate chlorine in your pool and kill the algae....not try to filter it out.......it doesn't work

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.