Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First TF-100 test in new pool

1. Back To Top    #1

First TF-100 test in new pool

I'll post the results AFTER I give everyone some background from another thread.

pH keeps creeping up past 8.2 or higher and the chlorine is obviously non existent. I add 1/2 of a gallon of muriatic acid, wait a few hours, then add 1.5 gallons of liquid shock. Next morning things are where they need to be. Chlorine is around a 2 or 3 and the pH is about 7.2 to 7.4. I wait 24 hours, test again, (with a cheap wal mart kit) and it is back to 8.2 pH and .5 or zero chlorine. I redo the acid and shock and the next morning it is back to "normal".

So a few days ago I did this and took a test sample to my local chemical store because I still didn't have my TF-100. They said the chlorine was a 10 and everything else was "perfect". I figured the Wal Mart kit was junk, bad or off. I come home, use the cheap test kit again and I show a .5 on chlorine and 8.2 pH. UGH

Today I received the TF-100 (hope I'm spelling it correctly) here are my results:

Cl - .5 (if not more zero than anything)
    Br - 1
    pH - 8.2
    FC - 3 (I might not have done this correctly)
    CC - 1.5
    TC - 4.5
    CH - 200
    TA - 120
    CYA - 20

PS. Let me add my water is really cloudy and the floor is dirty from the concrete company adding some Kool Deck today. We went ahead and swam for a little anyway after I back washed and rinsed in hopes I could clear it up a little more before I vacuum tomorrow. I am going to vacuum tomorrow, add some muriatic acid tonight, 1/2 gallon of liquid shock and retest tomorrow evening or Monday afternoon. FYI.
    16' x 33' Roman style sport pool. 15,000 gallons, IG, vinyl, sand, Hayward Super Pump, 2 fountains, 2 skimmers, 4 jets (1 on each end on the stairs and 2 in the middle) finished build on 07-03-2014, TF-100.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First TF-100 test in new pool

You need to stay on top of the PH. Try to make sure the PH never goes above 8.0. The PH will go up rapidly for roughly a month after fresh plaster is applied. After that it will slow down significantly, but continue going up for up to a year.

Your CYA level is really low, so you are losing a lot of chlorine to sunlight. I recommend raising CYA to around 40.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

You need to S.L.A.M your pool

Bring pH down to 7.4 and add enough CYA to get to 30, then follow the SLAM instructions in pool school. This could take several days and lots of bleach.

After the SLAM, don't forget that chlorine is needed daily.

TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Is the CYA causing the pH to jump up and spike every day?
    16' x 33' Roman style sport pool. 15,000 gallons, IG, vinyl, sand, Hayward Super Pump, 2 fountains, 2 skimmers, 4 jets (1 on each end on the stairs and 2 in the middle) finished build on 07-03-2014, TF-100.

5. Back To Top    #5

No. CYA is a weak acid and if anything will slightly lower pH. Isnt this a new plaster pool? New plaster causes pH to rise, but if so I am very surprised your PB didn't give you instructions. It think there is a new plaster thread in pool school.

Yup http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...w-pool-plaster
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

I understand now. The pool has vermiculite under the liner if that is what you mean by plaster. So the vermiculite is causing the high pH not the CYA. Got it. The PB still isn't finished as there are a few loose ends to tie up before I get the final bill. I am NOT paying until they are finished.

7. Back To Top    #7

Nope, sorry. Liner pool isn't plaster. Must be something else. Maybe your somewhat high TA. Just keep an eye on pH and add acid as needed.

8. Back To Top    #8

Are your eyeballs pointed up and breaking the surface when you run the pump? That could cause it to rise. I see you have fountains. Are you running them constantly? That will cause the pH to sky rocket too.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

We only used the fountains for a few minutes the other day. The eyeballs (all 4) are moving the water really well...lots of movement.

10. Back To Top    #10

Turbulent water increases PH?

UNDER CONSTRUCTION - 16x28' Freeform Pool with sunshelf, 3.5'-5.5' depth;
    7' Spa raised 18", 6 jets alternating heights, Flagstone on raised beam
    Stonescapes mini pebble finish, Tropical Blue; Stonelock Artistic Pavers; Bronze aluminum screen enclosure
    Sta-Rite Intelliflo 3HP VS Pump and DE Filter, SWG, 400K BTU Gas Heater, Globrite LED Lights
    Easy Touch Automation with Screenlogic smartphone interface[/b]

11. Back To Top    #11

It's the aeration that increases pH.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry