Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Raising CYA level

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Raising CYA level

I need to add 5 lbs of stabilizer (dry) into my pool, according to the poolmath calculator.
    A pool store nearby said to add them directly into skimmer basket.
    I think I read in this forum to put them in a sock or pantyhose and locate it near skimmer.

What is the advantage of using a sock or pantyhose?
    A pool store guy said it is not necessary to do that.

I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance
    20,500 gal, IG plaster, 425 sqft cartridge filter, 8'x8' spa, SGS Breeze 540 SWG, pool vac, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Raising CYA level

If you add it into the skimmer basket, it won't have any time to dissolve before it gets filtered out. They say it takes a week for it to show up on the CYA test, so the sock/pantyhose in front of a return sounds like a good way to "slow-release" CYA into the pool without having it get filtered out.
    IG gunite pool size: 12,500 gallons - includes spa with spillover, Polaris vacuum cleaner, Ultrapure Ozonator, inline tab chlorinator that I no longer use
    Filter: Hayward Swimclear Model #4030, 4-Cartridge Filters
    Pump: Century, 2 HP with a Hayward 6060 booster pump
    Date of build: March-April 2014 *NEW* : Test kit: TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

If you dump it in the skimmer, it goes right to your pump, where it will sit for days on end and, you will not be able to backwash the filter if you had to do so compared to using the sock or panty hose. When put in front of the return and manually massaged into the water, you can get it done and over with in an hour.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by yardoasis View Post
    If you add it into the skimmer basket, it won't have any time to dissolve before it gets filtered out. They say it takes a week for it to show up on the CYA test, so the sock/pantyhose in front of a return sounds like a good way to "slow-release" CYA into the pool without having it get filtered out.
    CYA can not be filtered out of water. The only way it can be removed from water is using reverse osmosis or draining and refilling.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

I just added 7 lbs using the sock method in front of return jets and they dissolved within hours. I know it is highly acidic, so I'm not sure about any complications with it being stuck in the filter until it dissolves (maybe it does some damage IDK). But the sock method is highly recommended here instead of directly dumping the granules into your filter through the skimmer.

Keep reading as much as you can on this site. You will learn very fast that you want to trust the experts here than the pool store guys.
    22,000 gallon in ground, gunite, Hayward pump 1.5 hp and 36sq DE filter. Pool installation date unknown, at least 10 years. Screened enclosure.

5. Back To Top    #5

There are also a couple possible reports of pouring it into the skimmer too fast and actually clogging the suction pipe. It will just not dissolve as fast in the filter due to the slower flow rates ... so you never know when it is safe to clean the filter ... this is the biggest reason for the sock.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Breeze540 View Post
    A pool store guy said it is not necessary to do that.
    I think you will find that most people here don't take much stock in what the pool store folks say. In addition to using the sock method you may want to divide you addition of CYA into two batches. If pool math says five pounds, put three pounds in, wait a week and re test. Then re-figure how much you need for the second batch. This will keep you from overshooting your target. You can always add more, reducing CYA is difficult.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

Raising CYA level

I add mine in my skimmer every year - little bit at a time, never have any issues. As long as you take your time and don't backwash for a few days you get the same results as a sock - I have done it both ways
    27'x54" Matrix Resin - 200lb Pentair sand filter - 1.5hp Pentair optiflow 2 speed pump - Aquatrol SWG - Gorilla Pad