The other night we were at a hotel chain with indoor pool. As we entered the pool area we were welcomed with the intense smell of chlorine. I realize this is not chlorine, but rather chloramines resulting from chlorine mixing with sweat, urine, and bacteria. The concern I gather is the risk of fee chlorine being low if not replenished by management. The pool obviously needs to be shocked to oxidize the chloramines.
Then I got confused. Can you fix this smell simply by adding more chlorine? Why is it rare to have to shock an outdoor SWG pool? The same urine, sweat and bacteria must become chloramines. What happens to the chloramines?
Next trip just for fun I'll bring my test kit when I encounter that strong chlorine smell.