Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine smell in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine smell in pool

The other night we were at a hotel chain with indoor pool. As we entered the pool area we were welcomed with the intense smell of chlorine. I realize this is not chlorine, but rather chloramines resulting from chlorine mixing with sweat, urine, and bacteria. The concern I gather is the risk of fee chlorine being low if not replenished by management. The pool obviously needs to be shocked to oxidize the chloramines.

Then I got confused. Can you fix this smell simply by adding more chlorine? Why is it rare to have to shock an outdoor SWG pool? The same urine, sweat and bacteria must become chloramines. What happens to the chloramines?

Next trip just for fun I'll bring my test kit when I encounter that strong chlorine smell.
    Intex 15X48 metal frame - 4400 gallons - 8 years old!
    Intex SWG / Pump (sanitation) / Hayward pump (sand filter & heater)
    Hayward skimmer / Hayward Propane Heater 100,000 BTU / Hayward S144T Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine smell in pool

Q1: yes. You can fix it with more chlorine.

It is funny that people are so quick to think that smell is too much chlorine. I am sure that my guests would be shocked that my FC is 7 when they say things like I love your salt pool with no chlorine.

Q2: this has been done before. I think it was Richard. Typically high Cya and barely any FC.

TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

How does the outdoor pool with a SWG get by often without the need for shocking. How do the chloramines get eliminated by the high chlorine shock? Do they get oxidized and the bacteria / protein particles wind up in the filter?
    Intex 15X48 metal frame - 4400 gallons - 8 years old!
    Intex SWG / Pump (sanitation) / Hayward pump (sand filter & heater)
    Hayward skimmer / Hayward Propane Heater 100,000 BTU / Hayward S144T Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

"Shocking" is a term bandied about by the pool store to solve improper chemical management. Any chlorine pool, SWG or otherwise, never needs to be "shocked" if the chlorine level is always maintained at an appropriate level in the first place. ( I haven't shocked my pool in 3 years, and don't plan to anytime soon.)

Chloramines are the first byproduct of free chlorine oxidizing bather waste and other nitrogen based compounds. In a clean outdoor pool, there will be miniscule amounts of chloramines present from bather waste, but its so little, sunlight quickly oxidizes it.

In an indoor pool, sunlight isn't available, and if the chloramine level gets too high, more free chlorine will oxidize it (eventually).
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

5. Back To Top    #5

The bather load is also much lower in a typical residential pool than in a commercial/public pool. You do get chloramines in your outdoor residential pool as well (some are intermediates that get further oxidized by chlorine), but the bather load is so low that the amount is very small and barely detectable (<= 0.2 ppm CC). The sunlight also breaks down chlorine producing hydroxyl radicals that are powerful oxidizers and the sunlight also directly breaks down dichloramine. Also, you usually have some breeze or wind outdoors at least part of the time and that blows away any accumulation of chloramine gasses in the air above the pool. Finally, some indoor pools don't use any CYA so the active chlorine level is higher and this tends to produce more of the most volatile and irritating chloramine, nitrogen trichloride (aka trichloramine).

Nevertheless, if you visit an indoor pool that has a strong smell, it's probably not being properly maintained (including proper air circulation in the room).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"