Resetting/Recalibrating Goldline/Hayward SWG Panel

iggy

Jan 24, 2008
The Cool Part of Arizona
I have a Goldline AquaRite basic panel. Since its install in January the average and the instant salt readings have been 3700 ppm and I know that this is incorrect. Well I cleaned my filters today, checked my cell which was spotless and reset my panel using the below procedures from Hayward/Goldline. The only thing I had to do after the reset is to run and monitor the panel for about an hour or so. I got low salt and check cell trouble lights come on a few times until the average salt reading was above 2700 ppm. To reset these light just push the black selector button in for 3 to 5 seconds and this will reset the trouble lights. After about an hour my readings were... Average 3200 and instant 3400 which is more in line with my tests. This also removes all past salt averages that may be in memory. Hope this helps you.

How do I recalibrate my Aqua Riteâ„¢ Chlorine Generator?

When attempting to recalibrate the average salt reading (default reading {2700-3400ppm}) the pump needs to be running. If the pump is not running, the system will show “NO FLOW”, if flashing this is just a warm up process and the unit is waiting for the water to begin moving through the cell to carry the chlorine out to the pool. Once flow is established the unit should begin to display the “POWER” & “GENERATING” lights solid green. Once this happens the cell has just engaged and is trying to measure the salt level. Press the diagnostic button once.

The unit then gives the following:

Default = what the unit thinks the salt level is due to an average of all previously recorded “instant salt readings” from all of the different polarity changes since the system was installed, or since the last time the unit was recalibrated.

First the unit reads the temp, then the voltage in the cell, then the amperage, then it will display the desired output percentage (where you have the dial set to), then next reading is the “instant salt reading”, or what the cell thinks the salt level is right at that moment. Then it will show “AL-X”, this just tells the technician what type of system they are working on (Aqua Rite™, Naturesoft, ect…), and then finally the software revision (r1.XX), this just tells the technician what to look for symptom wise, for instance a certain combination of lights. “Low/ check salt” and “inspect cell” are the most common lights and they are usually on together as the cell is saying it’s not sure if the problem is in fact the salt or if it perhaps has a calcium build up.

So you will see:

temp
voltage
amperage
desired output
instant salt reading (comes up with a dash before the # to differentiate with default
product code
software revision
back to default
Now moving the slide switch from “AUTO” to “SUPER CHLORINATE” and then back to “AUTO” on our control box is basically like pressing ‘enter’ on a computer. If the unit is reading 2700-3400PPM it is in the standard mode, if it reads 2.70-3.40, it is in the metric mode. If you need to change the reading, press the diagnostic button once to display the temperature. Then slide the switch up to “SUPER CHLORINATE” for a few seconds, as long as the “SUPER CHLORINATE” light illuminates, you can switch back, this should be instantaneous. This procedure will toggle between the two different settings.

Also, using the same procedure, “AUTO” to “SUPER CHLORINATE” then back to “AUTO” while showing the 5th reading (if it reads between -2700 up to -3400), the “Instant Salt Reading”, this will force the system to forget all of the previous readings and it will recalibrate its self to the new readings and should eliminate the error lights. If it does not, contact technical service at 908-355-7995 (Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm) one of our techs will be able to assist you.

The first step you should take is removing your salt cell by turning off power to the cell and removing the two unions on either side of it. Visually inspect the cell by looking through it. It should look very clean with no calcium deposits on it. If it is dirty you will have to acid wash it. If not we ahve to look elsewhere.
The next step you will have to take if you find yourself with a clean cell is finding your real salt level. You can do this by purchasing a salt meter or salt water test strips, or take the more practical approach of visiting a local pool store with a water sample. Any good pool store will do computerized water testing and salt checks. If your salt reading is different from that of the pool stores we will recalibrate your cell to the pool stores reading.

In order to do this you should have your pump running and power on to your salt system. Flip the switch on your box first to off then to the auto setting. Press your black diagnostic button 5 times. This will begin scrolling through numbers shortly. When the scrolling numbers reach the salt reading your pool store gave you flip the switch to super chlorinate. Your display will show you the salt reading you have locked into for calibration. You may have to repeat this several times to lock yourself into the correct number.

This will recalibrate your salt cell. Hope this helps and be sure to tell me what happens. If that doesnt fix it you will have to contact hayward in order to get a warranty center out there. You cant do much more diagnostic without parts to change. It usually comes down to a problem with the cell or the PCB board if this doesnt work. Act quickly because you only have a 1 year warranty.

Thanks,
Matt

I have an aqualogic PS-8 controller with salt cell attached are there similar instructions for recalibrating. My cell reads anywhere from 300 to 600 different than both salt strips and when I have tested at the pool store. Goldine has told me this is acceptable?

Thanks.

18k pebbletec w/ spill over spa
3 tristar pumps (2-1.5hp, 1-2hp)
Pro-Grid DE6020
H-Series Induced Draft Low Nox Heater 400 k BTU
Aqua Logic Combo Kit PS-8, salt cell, w/ AquaPOD
Silencer Blower (2hp)

The procedure does not really 'recalibrate' the cell. It just erases the average chlorine memory. With the Aqualogic it's much easer. Go to diagnostics menu, hit right arrow until you see 'instant salt' (or 'instant minerals', depending on how your unit is set up), and then hit the + to save the new setting and erase the old memory. It won't affect the instant salt readings you are getting but will change the average salt reading. That means if you instant salt reading is off when compared to a different salt test it will still be off.
It is normal for the Goldline units to be off as much as 600 ppm from a chemical test because they are measuring conductivity and not chloride ions. The older units were not temperature compensated so that could introduct another error when compared to a temperature compensated meter. It is acceptable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.