Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Added first bottle of bleach

1. Back To Top    #1

Collierville, TN

Added first bottle of bleach

I received my TF-100 test kit and immediately tested the pool. I'll post the results at the bottom. I added CYA in a sock and 121oz 8.5% bleach last night. Pump has been running constantly. This morning, my walls are green. My water is clear and was clear before. Previously I was using tablets and shock packets. This was my first time using the liquid bleach. Advice?

FC 0
    CC 0
    TC 0
    CH 225
    TA 40
    CYA <20
    pH 7.5

This AM I used the OT test kit with FC 4 and pH between 7.2-7.5

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tallahassee, FL

Re: Added first bottle of bleach

Good job on getting your own test kit! Welcome to a clear pool!

Your TA is a little low and your CH is high. Plug your numbers into Pool Math and see what it says for to do about those numbers.

Brush, brush, brush...........Your pool will get a little worse looking after you do this but you have to let the chlorine get to the algae.

Once you get your numbers in line you will want to do SLAM. A link to it is in my siggy below.

Good luck and let us know if you have any questions or just are unsure of something.

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit, Become a TFP supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

You have no chlorine in your pool. That is your first and foremost goal.

Tell us how much CYA you put in the pool.

Brush your walls to expose that algae to the chlorine you are about to put in.

Have you read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School? You should have a thorough understanding of that article because I think you will need to SLAM your pool and you must have a working knowledge of "ABC's" before you start.

1. Your pump should be running 24/7

2. Your filter should be cleaned, if necessary

3. Brush the pool thoroughly (esp. those walls) and post back your test results about one hour or so after you brush.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide
    Hudson, WI

Welcome to the forum

Please add you pool info to your signature:

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    2. Your filter should be cleaned, if necessary

3. Brush the pool thoroughly (esp. those walls) and post back your test results about one hour or so after you brush.
    If you added CYA in a sock to the skimmer it might be a problem. It takes up to a week for it to fully dissolve. During that week it's recommended to not backwash or clean the filter.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. May 20 - opened for summer
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit -
    Please help keep the lights on so we can be here for others, become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Lakeland, FL

Need more bleach/chlorine.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida