need help with green baquacil pool

Re: Baquacil pool - help with green water

You wont be sorry doing the conversion. When I used baquacil I was spending a couple hundred a month in chemicals to try and keep it clear. Since my conversion (about 5 years ago) I spend roughly $30-$45 a month, depending on whether I can find bleach or chlorine on sale.

I did it all by myself too. It seems a little intimidating at first, but there are lots of threads with people going through the process. It is really quite easy once you read and learn the process. I now have the cleanest, most sparkly water in the neighborhood!

Post split from Baquacil pool help with green water
Did anyone help you with your question? I have exactly the same problem.
Hi, welcome to TFP! The thread you originally posted in was from 2009, and the original poster completed the conversion to chlorine in 2010. If you would like to convert to chlorine we can help with that process. We do have a couple of members who have past experience with bacquacil products that may be able to help you if you do not plan to convert, but it may take longer to get answers to your questions since most of us do not have experience maintaining a baquacil pool.

I have been using baquacil / soft-swim products for many years. The only main issue I've run across is white water mold. The newer products in the Baquacil line seem much better than years back. Also, I think a key is to keep a regular maintenance schedule - using oxidizer every week and following up the additions with CDX - a relatively new product that came along only a few years ago. If things stay as they are now, I have no plans to convert back to chlorine. I got totally fed up with running into a chlorine demand situation that finally called for like 100 lbs. A friend of mine converted to Baquacil for the same reason. I do think that you need to be willing to work with the filter a bit more with the biguanide systems than with chlorine since it does seem to sometimes necessitate more frequent filter cleanings due to pressure increase, although I've noticed that has improved as well with my new plaster. I have no doubt that Baquacil is a more expensive system, but I'm fine with that if it works for me. I did not care for working with chlorine and especially hate swimming in those hotel pools where the chloramines are all out of whack and you practically gag before even getting in the water.

Sounds like you were not maintaining the chlorine pool like we teach and have not been in a properly balanced chlorine pool ... hotel pools are not even in the same ballpark.

I honestly do not know why anyone would want to pay so much more for that product and likely not have as nice of water. What you describe is certainly more work than I put into my pool as well. The only reason would be a severe allergy to chlorine and that is very rare.

Good luck to you guys that like to use Baq ... I just don't understand why.

Hi jblizzle,

I know...guess I'm just one of those who swims against the current. I like the feel of the water better than I did with chlorine, plus for my wife there are no issues of worrying about hair getting bleached and thus having to shower every time after a swim. I hated using those strong-smelling smart sticks for one thing. I'm sure I probably never maintained it as well as I could have, but have no plans to go back to chlorine unless I really start running into problems with the Baq. I love a good challenge anyway.

The low levels of chlorine in the water will not "bleach" hair ... copper will turn it green though. And most of us use liquid chlorine and not trichlor sticks, so that is not really a factor.

I sincerely hope things stay well with your pool, I just would never use it based on what I have seen here. You know where to find us if you need us ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.