Leveling Ground

Ama

Jul 12, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
Hi everyone.

First post here. My SO and I are looking to get a pool. We have an 18x33 oval resin pool in mind, as that is what best suits our yard. Now, I've done a lot of research into this, as I like to have some knowledge on products before I buy them (it helps prevent being taken advantage of when you have some information!). Everything I have read with regards to leveling your ground states to dig down, not build up. Everything stresses the importance of not building up. Where we're looking to place our pool, the ground is relatively flat but not precision level, so I assumed little would need to be done to get it perfectly level.

The thing is... everyone I have spoken with about installing a pool has stated they bring in crushed rock to level the area. I even mentioned that everything I read said the ground should be leveled down and they gave me the excuse that the ground freezes and that can be a problem, which confused me since we're talking a few inches at best, I'm not looking to have the pool half buried.

I'm just wondering if anyone can share some knowledge or experience with me. Have any of your had your area leveled with rock, instead of leveling the ground first? Will I run into issues? Or is this a perfectly fine option. Between the pool and installation costs, it will be a decent penny, and I'd rather not go about this in an unideal manner.

Thanks in advance, guys!

Welcome to the forum. :wave: As always, the answer is, "it depends".

How much out of level are you at the extremes? If you are 4 feet out of level, no amount of crushed rock will really help and no pool will really work at that spot. If you are 2 inches out of level, crushed rock may be the perfect thing to give you the base you need to get started.

As you continue to learn, you will find that most sights begin by rough leveling the virgin dirt say to within an inch or two and then really doing a pro job of getting the last little bit virtually perfect with easy to manipulate crushed stone.

So, How far out of level are you?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.