Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: coffee grinder for CYA/stabilizer granules?

1. Back To Top    #1

coffee grinder for CYA/stabilizer granules?

Anyone tried this?
    Thanks.
    32K gal, IG vinyl, 1.5HP Hayward SuperPump variable speed, Hayward S244S sand filter, TF-100 test kit, AquaRite SWG - T15
    Hayward H400FDN heater, DirtDevil (Hayward TigerShark?) robot, Pool Blaster Max, 1.5" PVC, 2 skimmers, dual drain, 3 returns

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: coffee grinder for CYA/stabilizer granules?

Let me be the first to ask, "Why?"

CYA is an annual thing. It seems wasteful to have a dedicated machine for that. And powdered stuff is not such an advantage. Check this thread to see pictures of how it clumps.

Just fill a sock and drop it in the skimmer or hang it in front of a return. The constant water flow will dissolve it fast enough.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Richard is right. I usually get 3lbs (that's about as much as I can get into a sock) to dissolve in about 24-48 hours. Squeezing the bag frequently helps also.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

No! It would make your coffee taste like ÷$%×+.
    Search to see if your local walmart has this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/My-Salt-Po....5-lb/34752155
    It dissolves quickly using the sock method-- especially by squeezing it often.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Isn't the answer to "WHY?" that generally the more surface area of a chemical (or whatever) that is exposed to the solvent (in this case pool water) then the quicker it will dissolve. Didn't we all do this experiment in about Grade 8 science? And if that is the case then doing this will cause the CYA to start buffering your chlorine more quickly. Or does it not work that way?
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by wayner View Post
    Isn't the answer to "WHY?" that generally the more surface area of a chemical (or whatever) that is exposed to the solvent (in this case pool water) then the quicker it will dissolve. Didn't we all do this experiment in about Grade 8 science? And if that is the case then doing this will cause the CYA to start buffering your chlorine more quickly. Or does it not work that way?
    WHY don't you follow the link I posted which shows the powder clumping up on the surface?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

I have all the patience in the world for smoking a brisket but, I must admit, not much else. Even for me, the sock in the skimmer method dissolves the granular CYA quickly enough especially at the height of the season when the water is at its warmest.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by BoDarville View Post
    I have all the patience in the world for smoking a brisket but...
    I'll be right over!

Actually I just got a smoker and got the bug. I did 3-2-1 ribs last weekend and I seriously think they were the best I've ever had.
    TFP Method Advanced Intermediate
    • 17,500 gallons - In Ground - Plaster - Hayward Swimclear 3020 Cartridge Filter - Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas Main Pump upgraded with A.O. Smith B2980 E-Plus New Centurion Two-Speed Motor - Polaris 280 Cleaner with Polaris PB4-60 Booster Pump - TightWatt2 Timer - Taylor K-2006 Test Kit - Pool Pilot Digital Nano SWCG

Helpful Links: Pool School, BBB for Beginners, How to Shock (hint...it's a process not a product), Chlorine/CYA Chart, Jason's Pool Calculator

9. Back To Top    #9

Since this topic is only hanging on by the threads of it's socks,

I figure I'll put my $0.02 in...

If you're looking for a great rub: Meathead's Memphis Dust
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

10. Back To Top    #10

OK; thanks for the info.
    32K gal, IG vinyl, 1.5HP Hayward SuperPump variable speed, Hayward S244S sand filter, TF-100 test kit, AquaRite SWG - T15
    Hayward H400FDN heater, DirtDevil (Hayward TigerShark?) robot, Pool Blaster Max, 1.5" PVC, 2 skimmers, dual drain, 3 returns

11. Back To Top    #11

Ive thought about adding 10ppm worth of stabilizer to an empty bleach jug, filling it with pool water and let it sit until I need it. Shaking it up from time to time. That way you could have instant CYA already dissolved. I dont know if that would actually work or not but I dont see why not. I havent gotten around to trying it because I havent needed any CYA this year amongst other things.
    18,000 Gallon Aboveground. Sand Filter with 2HP 2 speed Pump.

12. Back To Top    #12

Current: Singapore Previous: Clayton, Victoria, Australia

CYA has an extremely low solubility in water, the method you described would not dissolve much CYA.

13. Back To Top    #13

The solubility of CYA in distilled water is 2.7 g/L so 2700 ppm. If you were to saturate 1 gallon of water with dissolved CYA and then add it to 7500 gallons of pool water, that would only increase the CYA in the pool by 0.4 ppm. In other words, the rest of the CYA still has to dissolve in the bulk pool water so you don't benefit very much at all by trying to pre-dissolve it in a bucket.

Now there is Cyanuric Acid powder and as described in this thread one can swirl it in a slurry and then add it to the pool but note that if you don't carefully stir/swirl it then it cakes up. It also doesn't dissolve instantly, but being a powder it will dissolve faster once dispersed into the bulk pool water.

There is also Natural Chemistry® Instant Pool Water Conditioner, but that is more expensive though it does literally dissolve quickly because it's not cyanuric acid but sodium cyanurate in a slurry.

I have found that I can get CYA to mostly dissolve overnight or certainly over one day if you put it into a sock or T-shirt in the skimmer with the pump running continuously. Water flow helps to dissolve it more quickly. Hanging a sock over a return also works. Note that putting it into the skimmer directly so that it gets caught in the filter is convenient but does not dissolve as quickly since the flow rate in the filter can be rather slow. The flow rate through sand filters is no more than 30" per minute, in DE filters it's around 2.4" per minute, and in cartridge filters it's around 0.4" per minute. Compare that to a skimmer 10" in diameter (78.5 sq. in. area) at 15 GPM (3465 cubic inches per minute) which flows at 44" per minute. So perhaps putting CYA into the skimmer to a sand filter may work OK, but it will take much longer to dissolve in a DE filter and especially a cartridge filter.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320 View Post
    Let me be the first to ask, "Why?"

CYA is an annual thing.
    I've had to add CYA twice this year, and it is below my target again. I can vouch for the pool keeper trying to gauge chlorine targets while waiting on that sock to dissolve for a week.

Jess :) from southeastern Indiana, USA
    27' x 54" ~17,600gal AG round
    Waterway Ecco 22", 250# oval sand filter 2.6 SF, 55 GPM
    1.5 hp 1-speed pump
    pool DOB July 2012

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by chem geek View Post
    Note that putting it into the skimmer directly so that it gets caught in the filter is convenient but does not dissolve as quickly since the flow rate in the filter can be rather slow. The flow rate through sand filters is no more than 30" per minute, in DE filters it's around 2.4" per minute, and in cartridge filters it's around 0.4" per minute. Compare that to a skimmer 10" in diameter (78.5 sq. in. area) at 15 GPM (3465 cubic inches per minute) which flows at 44" per minute. So perhaps putting CYA into the skimmer to a sand filter may work OK, but it will take much longer to dissolve in a DE filter and especially a cartridge filter.
    Can adding it directly without the sock method also cause damage to the filter, since it is acidic and can be stuck there for I'm guessing at least 24 hours even with it running?
    22,000 gallon in ground, gunite, Hayward pump 1.5 hp and 36sq DE filter. Pool installation date unknown, at least 10 years. Screened enclosure.

16. Back To Top    #16

No, filter damage is not really an issue, especially if you leave the pump running for 24 hours (as recommended by both our directions and the pour directly in the skimmer directions). There is a small risk of pump damage however, when pouring directly into the skimmer, though this is fairly rare.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

17. Back To Top    #17

I used to add my CYA directly to the skimmer with the pump running. I then found that my cartridge filters were clogged with CYA residue. I cant remember how long it took for them to clean up, but they sure did whiten up! My filter is somewhat on the smallish side for my pool, and I would hate to have to wash all that CYA away with a routine cleaning. I don't have a pressure gauge to know what the flow impact was.
    16x32 DiamondBrite kidney, 12,500 gal. (circa 1985) 3/4hp Hayward SII, Harmsco BF84, Taylor K-2006, Hayward SwimPure Plus / Tcell-15
    Boca Roton, Fl. USA.

prior 17k gal. vinyl, Sand filter

18. Back To Top    #18

I use sock in front of a return. If gives me better control over squeezing it frequently to hasten it's dissolving. If I have more than 2 lbs to get cya where I want it, I'll divide it into 2 socks which makes it even quicker.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter